[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to count to infinity if you have an infinite amount

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 2fd.png (198KB, 300x384px) Image search: [Google]
2fd.png
198KB, 300x384px
Is it possible to count to infinity if you have an infinite amount of time to do so?
>>
>>8778814
but infinity is not a number you reach it's an expression representing an endless amount of-

oh wait are you trying to bait me again
>>
>>8778821
What is stopping me from counting to infinity if I have forever to do so.
>>
>>8778829
That just means you will never stop counting, infinity is not a number to be counted. It's like saying you will count to i eventually.
>>
Infinity is not a number, it is a concept. The whole idea is rather undefinable.
>>
>>8778848
Wrong
>>
>>8778814

Yes and no

For something to be infinite it must be constantly continual. A number which is always constantly growing can be taught of as infinite.

Any cipher can be thought of as infinite as well since all numbers contain an infinite amount of decimals (if you count 0 as a decimal). At the same time a cipher can also be thought of as a constant value.

Short answer: Yes if you think of infinity as an ever growing endless number. No if you think of infinity as a constant value.
>>
>>8778846
What's stopping me from getting to eventually if I never stop? Surely eventually I will get there. That's what eventually means, it means it's gonna happen and it's only a matter of time.
>>
>>8780588
The thing which is stopping you is that infinity is not a member of the set you are counting. You will eventually count to any member of the set, never to one out of the set.
>>
>>8778814
yes, with aleph-0 numbers
>>
>>8780618
get out of here nerd
>>
>>8778814

You know when you count from 1 to 1000 the values that you are stating as you are counting get bigger and bigger and therefore longer to say.

Well, you wouldn't be able to count to infinity, which is an idea not a value but nvm, because as approaches infinity, the time it takes for you to state the values you are counting approaches infinity as well.

Therefore, when counting you will approach infinity but never reach infinity and therefore it is impossible for you to count to infinite regardless of infinite amount of time allocated.
>>
>>8781378
Edit :

> as *time* approaches infinity, the time...

My logic here is that as larger and larger values take longer and longer to say, to its extreme, the time it would take to state a value would approach infinity as the values you are stating get bigger and bigger.
>>
>>8781381
Therefore, because the time it takes to state a value approaches infinity as the value itself approach infinity, you will never be able to reach infinity even with infinite time, you will only approach it.
>>
>>8778814
You will keep counting and never stop counting. That's it.
>>
>>8778814
>to count to infinity
No.
Infinity = beyond countable
You'd never finish.
>>
If you count using only even numbers, you'll reach infinity twice as fast as if you counted with all numbers.

Assuming of course that infinity is an even number.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.