[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>find out my PI and a foreign masters student published a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 34576535435.jpg (14KB, 235x255px) Image search: [Google]
34576535435.jpg
14KB, 235x255px
>find out my PI and a foreign masters student published a fraudulent paper
>a computer simulation was basically passed along as "experimental evidence"
>the scales on some images were wrong: the dumb brainlet used micrometers instead of centimeters
>the brainlet even forgot to convert the logarithm factor in his equation so his results were off by a factor 100
>PI told me to "forget about it" and "not bring this topic again"
>that masters student is now on a prestigious PhD scholarship at Stanford

Why is this allowed?
>>
File: 1489957123606.jpg (22KB, 640x506px) Image search: [Google]
1489957123606.jpg
22KB, 640x506px
>>8773829
You need to ruin his chances motherfucker. You should lead by example.

Unless you actually like this idiot then let it slide; maybe extort him at the least
>>
>>8773829
extort him for cash or labor
>>
>>8773829
It's not allowed you retard. That's why you rat him out.
>>
File: 34576535435.jpg (13KB, 235x255px) Image search: [Google]
34576535435.jpg
13KB, 235x255px
>>8773836
>>8773839

he's gone. this was months ago.

the feels came resurfacing again when i saw his updated linkedin profile with 500 connections
>>
>>8773829
Lol, wait til you start working

The engineering work I've seen on planes that are flying as we speak would make you think twice about booking your next flight

The fact is, people fuck up. Even smart people. You're free to call him out, but, what would come of it? Do you think they'll "unpublish" the paper, or take away his degree?
>>
>>8773851
yeah probably not. he's an alpha chad anyway so I can't do anything even if I wanted to

>The engineering work I've seen on planes that are flying as we speak would make you think twice about booking your next flight

Tell me more. Got a greentext story about this?
>>
>>8773866
>he's an alpha chad
Doesn't really matter desu, I imagine most people are going to recognize that mistakes happen. That's why engineering lags so far behind science - it takes time to make sure the science accurately - and reliably - represents reality

>greentext stories
Without going into too much detail, a lot of the same stupid mistakes that you pointed out find their way into some pretty important engineering docs

Just off the top of my head:
>trying to find a "max principal force" on fastener forces, rather than just using Pythagorean theorem
>some guy thought he could find thermal stresses from a set of mechanical stresses
>loads team put the wrong load case ID on loads, so engineers are using the wrong loads for analysis

Scarier stuff usually comes from manufacturing/testing, though:
>some landing gears have been installed incorrectly on delivered planes, and are gonna start falling off if they aren't fixed soon
>oh, turns out our material properties aren't as good as we thought
Etc

The good thing is that we have enough baked-in conservatism to allow for mistakes, and a good enough relationship with airlines and the FAA that we can fix stuff as needed in a timely manner
>>
People make mistakes, duh. You probably fucked up a couple times when learning BASIC math, as did we all. Is it okay to call you a brainlet? No. It's about learning from your mistakes and not making those mistakes again.
>>
Debunk his paper and get rewarded for it.
>>
>>8773829
Who peer reviewed it?
>>
>>8773829
He would still lose credibility if you told the truth
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.