[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should a brainlet with no prior CS skills enter into computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: .jpg (25KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
25KB, 620x349px
How should a brainlet with no prior CS skills enter into computer science? i.e. what should I introduce myself to first and any additional steps or guidance to get the ball rolling?
>>
I'm a CS dilettante myself so I can't really give good advice except that the programming general on /g/ would probably give better advice than here which is mostly concentrated on the 'hard' sciences.
>>
>>8772136
SICP
Learn You
Real World
Graduate Texts from Springer
>>
>>8772136
google "hello world in basic" then once you figure out how to do that you're ready to move on to machine learning
>>
How To Design Programs
Structure and Interpretation
of Computer Programs
Types and Programming Languages
Introduction to Algorithms

Google these and work through all exercises
>>
>>8772136
You can learn a set code in two or three months with hard work, then you need to start working in the field. If u can get a job coding you'll be 4 years ahead all the idiots in school who will be going for the same job.
>>
File: 1489598397513.jpg (603KB, 1784x2530px) Image search: [Google]
1489598397513.jpg
603KB, 1784x2530px
Watch the first video in this playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvC1WCdV1XU&list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83

then download this book, it's C++, but very easy to understand for the novice with absolutely no programming experience:
http://freepdf-books.com/download/?file=7290

Anytime you need help with a concept in the book, refer back to that youtuber's channel. Be sure to do at least 1/3 of the programming challanges in each chapter of the book, and do at least one of the difficult ones.

study C++ for at least 3-4 hours a day.

also sign up for freecodecamp.com do this for an hour or two a day.

browse /g/ on a regular basis to become familiar with miscellaneous things.

Also, how advanced are you math wise?
>>
>>8772615
dont listen to this guy starting with c++ is a bad advice

>>8772181
maybe listen to this guy

>>8772169
just no

>>8772167
dont know what hes talking about

Here is what you do:
First learn Java

To do that get a book about java and read it, do video tutorials. Then go into Introduction to Algorithms like sorting and stuff and then learn lin algebra.

After that learning C# will be a joke. Then go for Python or C++ or both.

Go for Python if you want fast results, go for C++ if you want efficiency, go for C99 if you want to programm embedded systems.
>>
>>8772634
All major universities begin with C++. It's a difficult language yes, but if gives you insight into how things really work. He said he wanted to study computer science, not street shitter webdev h1b peasant shit. go fuck yourself brainlet
>>
>>8772637
I studied at a major university gtfo you have no right to speak
>>
>>8772638
I'm sure your local community college was major
>>
Have a goal besides learn programming. There are a million fucking books you can go right with but without any real motivation or goal it's pointless.
>>
>>8772634
>don't learn C++
>learn Java

don't listen to this guy OP

The first language your going to want to learn is C.
All modern languages are derived from it, and therefore it is present at the lowest levels of abstraction for essentially all digital electronics.
It's basically the Latin of programming languages except its everywhere.
It's a universally appreciated language and is the best language to start with since you learn how the computer interacts with code on a low level. This carries over to any additional languages you may learn after C (but wouldn't be the case if you learned literally any other language first).
>>
just get that book that tells you everything to pass a+
>>
>>8772136
Maybe learn how to live in China or India on 1 dollar a day to start with so a Passport will get that ball rolling.

21st century, learn a skill or trade that can't be outsourced and carries some sort of aversion to immigrants from the third world. Thanks me later.
>>
>>8773002
>implying chinese and indians can compete with the white man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5YokNW7tIs
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.