[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ I'm a 1st year uni student in maths and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: asasa.jpg (180KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
asasa.jpg
180KB, 550x367px
Hey /sci/

I'm a 1st year uni student in maths and I'm willing to learn computer science during my spare time. Where should I start? I know basically nothing from it.
>>
can you code html?
>>
can you code css?
>>
>>8769373
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcGKO0U7qa8
yes
>>
Start with something easy like python. Once you get to grips with things, work through the euler project coding challenges to refine your skills.
>>
>>8769373
Not from head, but I know the very basics of it.

>>8769387
Nope, not at all

The thing with programming is that I'm a really rational person and jumping into it (I tried a little and that's why I'm here) feels really weird because I hate doing things that I don't understand (for example, I hated calculus but loved analysis because you get the proofs and get to understand why it works that way) That's why I'm trying to know what would be the perfect path to follow to get a good understanding and solid foundations.
>>
>>8769369
Don't listen to any of these fuckers.
Start with C/C++.
"Computer Science" is not a fucking Software Engineering degree, if you want to do real Computer Science then start with a language that will help you understand and interact with the systems computers are made of. Learn about Memory, do some Linux Daemon stuff, LKMs, etc. Get into Architecture and Data Structures, things will eventually all fall into place.
Also, don't neglect Hardware - extremely important for understanding limitations, etc.
>>
>>8769414
Yeah this looks more like what I described here >>8769408

Do you have books or links I could follow? I mean I could always go and watch any wannabe tutorial makers on youtube but I feel like I'll just make myself a robot repeating after others and never get the essence of it. I'll still go and learn about C/++ but should I be really good with it before going into the more deep stuff or just get a general idea of the stuff I can do with it? I know I ask a lot of questions but I don't want to jump into it and realize that I missed many things and go back and forth. It needs to be ordered.

Thanks, and I'll still take a look at >>8769392
euler project, looks really nice (not right now though aha)
>>
>>8769369
discrete maths, complexity, languages (the computer science version of them, not talking about programming langs)

IMO the main idea of CS is to make abstraction for programming, turn those abstractions into mathematical models and use them to prove some useful properties

any area of math that lets you do that can improve your skill as a programmer

but you also have to add human readability and usability and maintainability to the equation
>>
>>8769435
If you have no experience programming then I would definitely suggest that you first familiarise yourself with the language. C++ is OO, so you might find it easier to keep cleaner logic with it (if you aren't abusive).
You *must* practice and write programs. If you do not then you won't really cement the peculiarities.
For programming logic see: >>8769441
Discrete Maths/Complexity(Big O, Omega, etc)/Data Structures(data storage)/etc.

You must learn the language before you move onto deeper things. Sorry, you will just not be able to understand what's going on if you don't. Eventually you'll even want to familiarise yourself with ASM/etc, so look forward to that.

Books I recommend:
Data Structures with C
Expert C Programming: Deep C Secrets
Art of Assembly
Introduction to Algorithms
Linux System Programming
Essential Drivers
Linux Kernel in a Nutshell
Operating Systems Concepts
Computer Architecture: Quantitative Approach
Reversing: Secrets
Rootkits
Art of Computer Virus Research
Network Programming (sockets)
Compilers

These are all probably past your scope currently, however at the beginning it is very easy to accumulate the basics so I'm sure you will be able to easily acquire the knowledge you need before you start on some of the books I recommended.
They are all easily found on Library Genesis
>>
>>8769511
>>8769441

Wow thanks a lot guys! Will definitely do. I was skeptical about learning a language first because the first course in CS in my uni is more about the logic behind languages in general than a specific language, but I get what you are saying (like learning a language and go deeper and deeper, like doing calculus before analysis in a way) alright and thank you for the book list, really helpful
>>
File: Sci CS reading list mk.III.jpg (4MB, 2500x4620px) Image search: [Google]
Sci CS reading list mk.III.jpg
4MB, 2500x4620px
>>8769369
>>
>>8769408
First, you learn boolean logic operations
then, you learn transistor logic
then, you learn how to build functional units from logic gates
then, you learn CPU design
then, and only then, you learn assembly language
then, after you have mastered assembly language (not dabbled, but mastered it), you learn C
then, after you have mastered C, you may learn the higher-level languages of your choice, but you will always use C and assembly as your primary languages because everything else is unnecessary bloat.

Finally, you become familiar with topoi, and study the internal logic of categories
then familiarize yourself with (general) type theory, and its applications to programming. I also recommend studying how to reformulate mathematics in terms of globular categories for use in automatic theorem proving, because there is an inherent programming-like 'feel' to it.
>>
>>8769369
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
>>8769559
what about group theory?
>>
>>8769559
lmfao
Most awesome troll I've ever seen
You, my kind sir, deserve a medal
>>
>>8769369
Make something of substance in some programming language, and use stack overflow when you get stuck.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.