[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I studied pure math all my academic life. Ended up specializing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 4.png (8KB, 300x231px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
8KB, 300x231px
I studied pure math all my academic life. Ended up specializing in mathematical logic and algebra. Got a masters degree. Pure math was an obvious path to me but I never had any passion for it. I aimed for research in pure math because it seemed like the least degrading job I could get. If I didn't have to complete assignments or review papers for graded projects, I wouldn't even think of math as a hobby. Masters thesis was rough since I couldn't motivate myself to wake up everyday and work without a social environment pushing me. I often discuss philosophy, history, psychology with classmates/friends, but never mathematical concepts, as they are mostly empty to me.

Somehow I ended up here because I used to think empirical sciences were not noble or not true enough, and using math to make money was selling your soul. The irony is that now I am an automatic prover with no soul anyway. Now the only logical followup to my studies is a phd in pure math, but it seems like wasting three years for a title, and finding fundings in fundamental areas is a fucking pain in the ass. I like the freedom that the job of researcher offers though.

Is it more motivating to work in easier/trendy topics in applied math, whether it is as a researcher or normal money-making job?
If someone has a relatable experience he/she got through
>>
Why the fuck would you study math if you don't like math
>>
>>8768649
>I went into the field I loathe because edgy teenage reasons
Lmaoing @ u. Get a degree or training in something you enjoy, autismo.
>>
>>8768649
Jobs are like halting problems: you'll never know for sure if a particular job is 'degrading' or 'motivating' unless you try it out, and if you don't act until you have the 'perfect' job, you won't get anywhere at all.

I stopped at undergrad and got a "data scientist"-like job at a research institute that in practice amounts to doing 'trivial' tasks like optimizing code for non-programmers. It felt terrible until I realized one day that I was effectively getting paid to solve Project Euler problems that are not only intellectually challenging but yield immediate and concrete benefits. I've been well-motivated ever since.

> Ended up specializing in mathematical logic and algebra
> easier/trendy topics in applied math
I think I may have read more math on the job than I did in my curricular university environment (got into computation theory, logic, set/type/category theory etc.).
This may be my bias speaking, but I believe that discrete math is only going to become more important in the 'real' world, and businesses will become more discerning and more demanding for 'good' algorithms as they start to recognize the importance of fundamentals. Depending on your specialization, you could end up at the apex of the automation food pyramid, though I don't know if that's motivating for you or not.

>that image
That reminds me of a question I've had for a while: do you know if it's possible for the continuum to have cardinality [math]\aleph_\omega[/math] in ZF (not C)? The usual refutation makes use of Konig's theorem, so it seems like [math] 2^{\aleph_0} = \aleph_\omega[/math] could be consistent with ZF, but I haven't studied enough set theory to know how to construct the model.
>>
File: 1489085924038.jpg (30KB, 400x345px) Image search: [Google]
1489085924038.jpg
30KB, 400x345px
>>8768649
Aleph null
What is this, an infinity for ants?
>>
>>8768649
Holy shit are you me ?
>>
>seemed like the least degrading job I could get.

10/10 true story: this is reason I went to graduate school after I finished college
>>
>>8769757
caring about what is degrading and what is not
instead of caring about the real key to happiness and fulfillment which is money
money can bring you the stability and comfort you need to just sit on a couch all day and think about math
>>
>>8769763
To get that money you need a degrading job :^ )
>>
>>8768649
you could've gone to engineering if you're the type who cares about money
>>
>>8768649
What was your research area, OP?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.