[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Kindles/e-readers any better or worse than reading a physical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: kb-slate-04-lg._V325448975_.jpg (58KB, 500x482px) Image search: [Google]
kb-slate-04-lg._V325448975_.jpg
58KB, 500x482px
Are Kindles/e-readers any better or worse than reading a physical book?

I've heard that physical books are better for retention, but is that actually true? Is there actually any science behind it?
>>
>>8761690
I'd say they're both about the same, it also depends on whether you enjoy more traditional methods or your tech savvy. The only big con about using kindles are the limited selection of books you can choose from.
>>
>>8761690
>>8761690
Real books are still superior imho senpai. I can hold three fingers on different sections, while I read a fourth. Makes it easy to cross-read to look something up. I can write with a pencil in it. I can attach notes stickies to them.
Monochrome readers are bad anyway. Try to read a fucking anatomy atlas in one of those. Way too small screen and not in color. A cheap android however does the trick, with the above mentioned disadvantages. Yeah I know I can make digital bookmarks and stuff, but that is just not as convenient as real books. The only advantage of digital reading is the low weight combined with the huge capacity. Quite good for traveling. Digital readers get boring after a while, holding the same thing again and again.
>retention
I dunno but asking this makes you look a bit retarded. It's totally up to you what you remember and what not.
>>
>>8761690
I barely read hardcopy books after getting into the groove of reading on a Kindle. And I feel like I remember about the same amount, maybe a little more with the Kindle, as I can look up words whenever I wonder what they mean (ESL). You can also make both notes (of almost any length), bookmarks for each page, highlight passages and search for words or phrases in the book. It beats flipping through the pages trying to see words or passages when you want to show something to others, in my opinion.
Besides, if I finish a book and want the next in a series, or another by the same author, it takes approximately 15 seconds from reading the last word to reading the first of the next book. That's really the main selling point, apart from the fact you can read in near-perfect darkness and still retain night vision (and avoid fucking up your melatonin-production, which regular backlit screens tend to do)
>>
>>8761713
>holding the same thing again and again.
You're a special kind of idiot, aren't you. Have you gotten bored of eating with a knife and fork, drinking from a cup or putting shoes on your feet?

That "boredom" is svada, and allowing yourself to be this irrational should be a crime.
>>
They are the same.
Except you can stuff tens of thousands of books into an SD card, which you can instantly find and access via a simple character search;
while the book need physical space and more time to find and reach for it while you at least don't have to charge books.

Your most favorite entertainment books, and a collection of educational books that cover what you learned in elementary school, highschool, and maybe a few core Uni's, better than those institutions did (granted that this requires lots of book reading and research) should be left for the physical library at home.
That shit should be passed from generation to generation and could ensure a family and it's education in the future.

Stuff the rest into digital form.
>>
>>8761746
believe it or not: I have more than one fork and more than one cup and sometimes I love a glass instead of a cup. And like most people I do not wear the same pair of shoes everyday in my fucking life. Because that would be BORING and not special or idiotic or svada. Go away and fight your autism.
>>
>>8761813
What the fuck? Are you genuinely autistic? I'm not even fucking joking.
>>
>>8761690
>a physical book
Usually 2560 dpi.
What do they have for "clarity."
>>
It's easier to flip pages instantly than wait like 2 seconds for single page to load
>>
>>8761738
Which Kindle do you use?
>>
>>8762306
paperwhite, but probably a discontinued model. newer ones have better screens and controls.
>>
>>8761713
I agree with you buddy
>>
>>8762116
Your autism is showing.
>>
>kindle
>can't read in the bath
it's shit
>>
>>8761690
this is just me, but I do remember better from a physical book. But real books don't have a find function so that kind of sucks.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.