[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Someone made an argument that circles of different radii can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: david-hilbert.jpg (55KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
david-hilbert.jpg
55KB, 850x400px
Someone made an argument that circles of different radii can't have the same number of points because if you extend a radial ray from the center of a small circle through every point on its circumference to the points on the circumference of a larger circle, then there will be gaps between rays. Therefore the larger circle has more point.

I think Hilbert made this argument, but it may have been Cantor. Can Remind me please?
>>
All circles have the same cardinality
>>
>>8761645
as long as there is a bijective function for mapping points between two circles, they have exactly the same (infinite) amount of points. (and yes, there are bijective functions)
>>
>>8761645
>then there will be gaps between rays
This just seems false though.
>>
File: QuantumComputer.png (529KB, 452x457px) Image search: [Google]
QuantumComputer.png
529KB, 452x457px
I'm not asking if the argument is right, I'm asking who made it. It is famous, come on help me out here.
>>
>>8761699
It is retarded
>>
I'm googling a bit and it seems cantor is the one who resolved the problem, not posed it
>http://blog.wolframalpha.com/2010/09/10/transfinite-cardinal-arithmetic-with-wolframalpha/
Some sites mention galileo as the originator of the problem although they don't use the ray argument.
>>
File: untitled.png (18KB, 775x123px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
18KB, 775x123px
>>8761724
thankee. Cantor's argument seems, um... lacking.

So if I live Georgia, and infinity lives in California, is it far removed enough to resolve the paradox?
>>
>>8761739
Yea it's a weird sentence, I noticed it too, but it's probably more the bloggers fault than Cantors. Cantors idea afaict is that if there is a one-on-one correspondence between two sets, they are the same size (cardinality).
>>
>Mathematics knows no races
Yeah. That's why functions and associative math should be banned. Because it incites racism.
Anyone who has a part of the brain which has
associative cognitive abilities should be locked up and have a part of their brain removed and their intelligence castrated to acceptable and thought police approved levels.
>>
>>8761756
>>>/pol/
>>
>>8761739
That's not his argument, that's the result of his argument.
>>
>>8761768
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>8761662
even a circle with radius 0?
>>
>>8761756

Triggered!
>>
>>8761789
good question
>>
>>8761789
There is no circle with radius 0, just like there isn't triangle with 3 points on the same line, or any geometric object with all points in same position.
>>
>>8761890
>just like there isn't triangle with 3 points on the same line
There is. You just don't see it because it fell on the side like your IQ.
>>
>>8761756
Sorry, but I don't listen to /pol/tards. My studies show they are associated with cognitive deficiency.
>>
>>8761890
>The circle of radius r and center C is the set of points that are at a distance r from the point C.

With this definition, a circle of radius 0 does exist and is a singleton.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.