[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a Calc 2 tutor and I wanna give my tutees an obnoxiously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: eq0006P.gif (6KB, 721x315px) Image search: [Google]
eq0006P.gif
6KB, 721x315px
I am a Calc 2 tutor and I wanna give my tutees an obnoxiously hard problem to work on. We are doing Infinite series now. Give me what you got, /sci.
>>
>>8754348
Prove that any sequence of functions f_n : R -> [0, 1] has a pointwise convergent subsequence.
>>
>>8754348
slyly introduce them to laplace transforms.
>>
>>8754348
provve 1 + 1 = 2 using principles of FOL
>>
>>8754348
ask them to sum 1+2+3+4+...
>>
>>8754439
let n be some number in the sequence.

limit as n goes to infinity is infinity.

sum of n terms is infinity
>>
>>8754444
*leans into mic*

WRONG!

it's -1/12, obviously
>>
\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left ( \frac{1}{k}\left ( \binom{n}{k}+1 \right ) \right )=\sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{2^k}{k}

A clever Calc I student could do this
>>
not terribly difficult but a fun one:

e^(x+e^x))
>>
Ask them to prove the sum of the natural numbers converges to -1/12
>>
Let [math]a_0,a_1,...,a_n\in \mathbb{C}[/math] be a collection of [math]n+1[/math] complex numbers with [math]n \geq 1[/math] and [math]a_n \neq 0[/math]. Let [math]p(z)=a_0+a_1z+...+a_nz^n[/math]. Prove the existence of a point [math]z_0 \in \mathbb{C}[/math] such that [math]p(z_0)=0[/math].
>>
sum of the reciprocal of squares, no problem.
>>
or better yet, sum of reciprocal of cubes
>>
>>8754356
Nah this too easy. Just follows from Bolzano theorem.

How about:
Ask them to integrate simple functions like sin(x) over null sets?
>>
>>8754359
legitimately a good and constructive idea
>>
>>8754701
Proof:

- The field C, is defined as the algebraic closure of R. Thus it is naturally closed and the theorem is trivial. QED
>>
>>8755690
Bolzano says that for any individual point x there is a subsequence so that f_m(x) converges, but not that you can do this for all x simultaneously. It's a special case of Tychonoff's theorem, which isn't that hard but considering it uses AC it's a troll problem for Calc 2 students.
>>
>>8754348
Prove P=NP.
>>
File: Emma-Stone-normalize.jpg (41KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Emma-Stone-normalize.jpg
41KB, 300x400px
Enumerate your language and denote by [math] h(n,m) \in \{0, 1\} [/math] whether the n'th Turing machine halts before m steps (1 for halts, 0 for doesn't halt). That's a function
[math] h : {\mathbb N} \time s{\mathbb N} \to \{0,1\} [/math]

Let's define the sequence
[math]s_k := \sum_{n+m=k} \frac{1}{2^n} h(n,m) [/math]

Compute
[math] s := \lim_{k\to \infty} s_k [/math]
>>
Why the fuck you do this

Just keep with more elaborated but not that hard questions, you cunt

Fuck
>>
>>8756710
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/709483/pointwise-converging-subsequence-on-countable-set

Looking at whole proof is tough kek
>>
>>8756904
That's only for a countable domain though, not all of R. There probably is a more direct way of doing this than proving Tychonoff but I'm pretty sure you need some form of choice.
>>
>>8756003
Circular logic.
>>
>>8757085
He didn't define C. So I chose a definition making the problem trivial.
>>
>>8756753
This is Formal Languages and Automata Theory you cunt
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.