[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we increase or decrease the entropy of universe just by existing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: milosevic-sm.jpg (38KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
milosevic-sm.jpg
38KB, 624x352px
Do we increase or decrease the entropy of universe just by existing?
Do our actions balance this out?
>>
>>8753438
Everything increases the entropy of the universe
Entropy increases inexorably with time

The only things that can decrease entropy are magical girls, but we're fucked because anime isn't real.
>>
>>8753438
You ask the question like anybody would know.

Time/entropy is still unsolved question. Nobody knows the answer.

But we can discuss philosophy if you want. What are you asking? What do you want to know? More importantly, WHY do you want to know that thing?
>>
>>8753445
>anime isn't real
oh no you didn't...
>>
File: 1486886492047.jpg (60KB, 512x640px) Image search: [Google]
1486886492047.jpg
60KB, 512x640px
>>8753450
>Time/entropy is still unsolved question
>>>/x/
>>
>>8753450
>entropy is still unsolved question
i didn't know this, i thought it is observable and well understood and defined

Well basically does existence of life or humans bring order or disorder to this universe...
>>
>>8753456
Entropy can be measured very easily. When you make billions of measurements, you get the picture that you "understand" the phenomena. You don't.

For example

Scenario 1
>Know the gravitational law
>Measure the masses and distances of objects in celestial system
>Using the equations, masses, and distances you can know deduce every single position as a function of time (approx)
>Now you can say you truly "understand" the system

Scenario 2
>Measure the positions of every single celestial object in the Solar System
>Assume Sun to be the center
>After few billion measurements you have very accurate map showing exactly the same paths than in Scenario 1
>You however, don't have the slightest clue about how the system works
>>
>>8753456
is isn't unsolved, ignore >>8753450, he is a bullshit salesman

everything in the universe transforms potential energy into thermal energy, at differing rates. Lifeforms stay alive by doing this. Therefore life contributes to the degradation of the universe. It doesn't accelerate the degradation; all of life's energy comes from a star which has a maximum energy output before life even evolves.

>>8753465
that's fucking retarded
>>
>>8753465
So the equations for entropy in thermodynamics is not it?
>>
>>8753456
Or maybe better example could be

>You can always say AFTER what the lottery numbers will be. That is very easy.
>Understanding is the ability to say what the lottery numbers are BEFORE you've observed them

>You can always say AFTER what the entropy of a chemical reaction was. That is very easy.
>It is impossible to say BEFORE a brand new reaction and reaction conditions what the entropy is

Or
>It is very easy to measure mechanical properties of matter like elasticity, hardness, and fatigue
>It is impossible (with current knowledge) to deduce those properties solely from physics without testing (or using mechanical constants out of nowhere)
>>
>>8753475
Show me how to calculate the entropy change of
water (solid) --> water (liquid)
by only measuring properties of liquid-water or solid-water
but you are forbidden to measure any reaction parameters (you aren't allowed to do the reaction).

Protip: people like Gibbs, Shannon, and Boltzmann tried for decades and couldn't make it.
>>
>>8753484
Btw it is theoretically possible,
nothing mysterious about that,
so I want you to do it in reality.

I'll give you the computing power of all the supercomputers on Earth

But it would take pretty long to find out
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.