[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there such a big variation in the expense of universities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Why is there such a big variation in the expense of universities when almost all information is available for free online?

How can Ivy League get away with charging so much for the same education that cheap schools are providing?
>>
>>8753199
You're paying a lot for the privilege of getting to know people who pay a lot for the privilege.
>>
You have prestige more if you're form those unis, or you get money and prizes like the Nobel more if you have connection from there, or know other Nobel winners, and you're more likely to become the US president or head of the CIA, if you're a member of Skull and Bones. But this was never about quality. Mathematics education in free (100$ a year or whatever) German universities was never worse than any US or British uni. (French / Swizz unis are top because they have the good people.)
>>
>>8753199
Because you're paying for the name on the degree to signal competence to employers or admissions committees.
>>
Basically what everyone else has said. I attend an ivy because someone else is paying for it, and about the only thing I can really say it gives me is a brand name degree. Additionally, the exclusivity of admissions makes it appear that the school only accepts the best and brightest students, so when I get a 3.9 here its like getting straight 4.3 at some state school where everyone can go. However I'd be the last one to argue that everyone who gets admitted here actually is among the brightest in the US. I haven't had any more trouble excelling here than I had in high school. Other fringe benefits are that you often have the opportunity to go to office hours of some of the most influential people in their field if your school is known for that field. Usually the schools have big names teach an intro course so that students have an opportunity to go bother them. Sometimes the material Ive learned in lecture was actually invented or discovered by the lecturer themselves. Another thing is good talks by other well known professors if you are into that sort of thing. The only other benefit is that the school has a shitload of money, so they spend it on things like having 60 student TAs for a single class, which basically means that even in a class of 300 students there's never a shortage of help and tutalage, since all of these TAs hold office hours weekly.
>>
>>8753199

Better universities teach the material faster and more thoroughly. They can get away with doing this because they only accept the very brightest students.
>>
>>8753231
in berlin its more like 500/yr but most of it is for the public transportation ticket you get from the university
>>
>>8753199

Credibility, quality of education assurance and quality control.
>>
You're paying for a lot more than just an education; like what everyone has already said. You haven't heard the saying "it's not what you know, but who you know?"
>>
>>8754920
>>8755187
These are the answers. It's not just "the name" -- you have to ask WHY the name gained value in the first place.

Really all comes down to being more selective in admissions. Everything is better. Pace is faster, the curriculum is deeper. The TA's are more likely to actually understand the material, because they themselves were top students. The labs are well-equipped, and are much more accessible to students. You are surrounded by motivated learners, many who get involved in serious research projects even in undergrad.
>>
>>8755259
Lolololol

>Top name schools make phys 1 and 2 pass fail so to "not hurt anyone's gpa. those classes are hard :D"

>My unrecognisable school taught the same material, same pace, and the exams were just as difficult. Letter grade.

Want to know what the difference actually was? Mine was cheaper, and graded more rigorously.
>>
You're paying to share oxygen with child celebrities, sons/daughters of F500 CEOs, and politician's kids.

If a career in science is your thing, then it's also a lot easier to get paid gigs working in world-class labs.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.