[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does Alien Hand syndrome imply for Free Will. When you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Alien Hand.gif (22KB, 250x303px) Image search: [Google]
Alien Hand.gif
22KB, 250x303px
What does Alien Hand syndrome imply for Free Will. When you sever the connection between the hemispheres of the brain it seems one half can still act, but without any sense of agency in the mind of the person. It seems like each person is actually two individuals dueling for control, but only one half is actually represented in the mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIBBDuQrd-I
>>
It's not even that only one is represented in the mind. It's more that only one has control of your vocal cords.
>>
I don't care. I just came here to say that sometimes, at night, I get the sudden fear that my hand is going to start punching or strangling my sleeping girlfriend, and that I have to mentally focus on keeping control of it.
>>
>>8749095
You're suffering from a condition known as being an inherently violent male.
>>
>>8749091
But only the actions of one half actually come from the mind of the individual. They can pick something up with one hand and think "Yep I wanted to do that", but the other half acts completely independently of their will. Meaning only one half of the brain is responsible for making you feel like you're in control of your actions while both halves control your actions.
>>
>>8749101
This is wrong. The other half is a full person just like "you" (the you of the left half of what used to be your whole brain) only it is in a partial vegetative state, wishing to scream out it is there but unable to. You have no connection to this other person, so you can't be conscious of whether or not it is aware. It is.
>>
>>8749107
Sounds like spooky bullshit to me. It isn't a whole person with it's own personality. It's an aspect of you, it's just that the process that makes you think you're in control of that aspect gets severed and so it's able to act on it's own without the usual sense of agency you have over its actions.
>>
Clearly if you suffer from this, you have one less degree of freedom. It's one less thing you have control over, but that doesn't imply that you have no control. It's a spectrum and not an absolutes thing.
>>
>>8749109
Things we can't comprehend have a way of sounding like spooky bullshit. It's actually quite grounded. It's a matter of better understanding how consciousness works. It's been shown experimentally in various ways that it can be split and also combined between multiple brains.
>>
>>8749100
Did you just assume my gender?
>>
>>8749124
I don't engage in debate with cis scum. Sorry.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.