[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What I never understood is, how do you actually detect a particle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Double-slit.png (4KB, 401x192px) Image search: [Google]
Double-slit.png
4KB, 401x192px
What I never understood is, how do you actually detect a particle (electron or photon) going through the slit without absorbing it into the detector?

I know that you have to influence the particle in some way, with some kind of detector, but how?
>>
Ok imagine a light sensitive diode. Imagine it outs out a voltage range for light. You get nothing below planck energy. Break up the signal timeframe and you can see each particle being detected on an oscilliscope.

This actually made einstein screech and vow not ro shave his headbeard.
>>
>>8746922
But with a light sensitive diode, you still have to absorb the particle to detect it, right?
What I want to know is, how do you detect that a single particle is flying through the slit (or one of the slits) without "catching" it.
>>
If done with electrons, you can detect the magnetic field caused by the electron passing by.
>>
File: particle-wave.jpg (20KB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
particle-wave.jpg
20KB, 500x480px
>>8746915
>>8746954
Like so:
https://phys.org/news/2015-03-particle.html
(But this is technically cheating.)
>>
if you can detect the electron going through either slit then you collapse the wave function and wont get the diffraction pattern. T detect is to interact.

>>8746954

this guy is right about a detection method.
But if you measure the path the electron takes you collapse the quantum state.
>>
>>8746954
Could you also detect a particle like an electron by shooting photons at it?
>>
File: file.png (59KB, 845x478px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
59KB, 845x478px
>>8746915
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSBaq3vAeY

Double slit experiment can be controlled by consciousness dude
>>
>>8747003
I read an article where people did exactly that.
>>
>>8747010
weed lmao
>>
>>8747003
That's literally part of the experiment.
>>
>>8747030
They never mention that part of the experiment in PopSci books or school
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.