[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will we find a cheap material that has the properties of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: question anime.jpg (176KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
question anime.jpg
176KB, 1280x1024px
When will we find a cheap material that has the properties of glass, minus the dangerous tendency to fragment into painful shards?
>>
>>8743148
plastic
safety glass
metal
>>
>>8743151
Yeah but why is it that, in the average lab -even at the most prestigious institutions- glass is still the predominant material for containers?
>>
>>8743156
Heat and chemical resistance, although for some substances plastic containers are used.
>>
>>8743162
Which brings me back to my original question: when will we find a replacement?
>>
>>8743166
When we find a replacement.

What kind of stupid question is that?
>>
>>8743183
I was hoping that maybe someone who knows more about material science might have a better answer than some undergrad-tier imbecile like you.
>>
>>8743156
Because glass is extremely cheap to make, you literally make it out of sand.

There will never be a truly economical replacement for glass, because there is no other substance that is as commonplace and readily available as sand, that can be turned into a useful container (with the obvious exception of plastic).

There are of course alternative substances, but they are made out of things that are more expensive than sand so they are more expensive and do not really make sense to use in most applications where glass can be used safely with a bit of care.
>>
>>8743187
Ah yes, materials science suddenly gives you a time machine, you fucking moron.

You're literally asking for someone to tell you the future and I'm the idiot? Fucking rich, little buddy.
>>
>>8743202
At the very least, I was hoping that someone might know if this is an issue that is being pursued, or whether it is not considered a priority. Maybe someone on this forum knows something about what's going on at companies like Corning, someone smarter than you.
>>
>>8743209
>smarter than you
If you're whats on offer, they'll be hard pressed.

Anyway, as anon above noted, not only does it have these special properties, but it is also very abundant and cheap.

There is no need to replace it.

Something your parents never said about you though. - Well, they probably said you have 'special properties' and had to ride the short bus.
>>
>>8743209
>broken glass is sharp

how is this an issue
>>
>>8743217
It's an issue because disposal of sharps is more labor-intensive than disposal of other materials. And also because accidents happen, and if you get wounded with a sharp that has been contaminated with an infectious agent, that will be a costly problem for your institution.
>>
>>8743268
>Cost-effective?
The only two words that matter to people who grant researchers funding.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.