[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is geology the most underrated science? >amalgamation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 972h1482-0559130001227137092.jpg (395KB, 972x1482px) Image search: [Google]
972h1482-0559130001227137092.jpg
395KB, 972x1482px
why is geology the most underrated science?

>amalgamation of chemistry, physics, biology with a splash of modelling and applied physics
>earn high graduate salaries as a part of the mining industry
>get to go outside, go camping, drink beer around campfires
>>
>>8742892
all the geologists I've met are pretty cool, but don't really like talking about who exactly pays them.

lots of stories starting out like, I was in X national park on a survey when... why? oh you know some nonsense about fracking but anyway there I was .... yeah well they look at the parks all the time, its not like they are gonna do anything... no its public data, you know, it good to know whats under the dirt, and let me tell ya about that dirt!

>yeah I know Rex Tillerson, epa, rising oil prices yeah, water is important to, but ok are you going to let me tell you the story on how I got my friend to dig up my buried shit? I got a punchline and everything!
>>
>>8742892
I enjoyed geology, but I think I'm gonna get a graduate degree in math or stats
>>
>>8742892
4chan has autism.
>>
>>8742965
So, they're all shady corporate shills? That's great to know and certainly explains my ex, apart from the fact she's Cornish.
>>
GIS>geochem>geophys>mineralogy>petrology>stratigraphy>everything else>POWER GAP>pedology

objectively true
>>
>>8743375
I'm pals with several geology majors.

Every last one of them says they'll gladly join the dark side and dig up oil in dune coon land if they can't find another job.

HINT: They can never find a different job.
>>
>>8742892
just be a petroleum/mining engineer instead.
>>
>>8743411
I'm a geology major and I don't know a single one of my fellow majors who ended up in oil. One guy I know does mine surveys for the state. One works in aggregate to determine if safety codes are followed at building sites, also working for the state. One is doing a mineral study on fish with a research grant (they grind up fish caught in rivers and lakes to determine heavy metal content). I never actually asked who supplied the grant.

Can't think of anyone in industry. Hmm.
>>
>>8743405
what is this a ranking of? employability? difficulty?
>>
What do you think of geophysics, op? I'm getting a minor in it, my major is physics. I'm interested in planetary astronomy research.

>>8743421
>just be an engineer
I'd rather hang myself
>>
You can feel the bed rock every night if you want to, geology = OP
>>
File: gty_pet_rock_150401_4x3_992.jpg (94KB, 992x744px) Image search: [Google]
gty_pet_rock_150401_4x3_992.jpg
94KB, 992x744px
Rocks are boring desu.
>>
>>8743449
How much I like them desu
>>
>>8744071
Kinda funny that the pet-rock actually has a German equivalent that has been around for centuries: Handschmeichler.
>>
I like geology just to look at their formations
>>
>>8744071
i have a degree in geology and agree desu
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.