[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So infinity or the proposed infinite positional states of both

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: zeno.png (10KB, 537x405px) Image search: [Google]
zeno.png
10KB, 537x405px
So infinity or the proposed infinite positional states of both man and tortoise solve this paradox.

Except we all know infinity is a placeholder or theoretical concept, it doesn't exist in the real world. So how the fuck does the man overtake the tortoise?
>>
>>8742889
Think about it in real terms you fuckhead, if the dude is always only making up half the distance then he is decelerating. The thought experiment doesnt take into account speed or other true factors, that is what engineers do, and that is why they are smarter
>>
planks length
>>
>>8742889
Supertask, it's trivial.

Each step takes less time than the last, if it takes one second to accomplish step one, and half a second to accomplish step two, 1/4 for step 3, etc, after 2 seconds an infinite amount of steps are complete and the man runs past the tortoise.

If every step took the same amount of time then the task would take infinitely long to complete.
Since they don't, it doesn't.

Also if you frame this in a different way it stops being a problem. "A man runs at 10 meters per second, ten meters in front of him there is a tortoise walking at 10cm per second, how long until the man passes the tortoise?" If you stop forcing yourself to think of it as a series of infinite steps, and instead as a continuous function, you can just solve the function and get the answer.
>>
>>8742889
infinity does exist in the real world, the only place infinity doesn't exist is in the world as we're capable of measuring it
>>
Because it focuses on a specific length of time

As soon as you look at a larger amount of time than is proposed, the "paradox" no longer applies.
>>
>>8742889
>So how the fuck does the man overtake the tortoise?
That's a relative perception. It shows math is f'd.
>>
>>8742889

[eqn]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{6} + \ldots = \sum_{n = i}^\infty \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^n= \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{1-\frac{1}{2}} = 1 [/eqn]
>>
>>8743004
>1/6 is a term in the series of (1/2)^n

anon....
>>
>>8743018
yeah, it's an 8
>>
>>8742889
smaller distances require less time to traverse at a constant speed

go back to sleep forever, Zeno
>>
>>8742889
Time and space are quantized.

And no, I ain't gonna prove shit.
>>
>>8742889
>How does the man overtake the tortoise?
He keeps running, you dipshit
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.