[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"the explanation is left as an exercise for the reader..."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (94KB, 332x333px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 332x333px
>"the explanation is left as an exercise for the reader..."
>exercises have no solutions
>tfw you will never know whether you are answer is correct or not
>>
>>8741840
Thing with math is that if you find the result wanted it's fair to assume you're right.
>>
File: 1485888174746.jpg (74KB, 882x768px) Image search: [Google]
1485888174746.jpg
74KB, 882x768px
>>8741845
Nope. For example, if an exercise asks for a proof, you can offer a proof that is not valid/rigorous but claims the same thing as was supposed to be claimed.
>>
>no worked examples
>no solutions
>"proof is left to the reader"
>exam is nothing like the assignments/problem sets
>class average is <40%
>mind_slowly_drifting_to_the_abyss.ogg
>>
>>8742269
Be rigorous yourself then. Check for cases you didn't check, formalise your writing, and so on.

Also most informal proofs are perfectly valid, they just need more formalism.
>>
>>8742269
That is why you have to scrutinize your own proof. After you are done writing you are supposed to read it again and see how all statements connect. If you do it carefully enough you can always notice gaps.

Though I know what you mean and to double check I sometimes post my proofs on the SQT and ask if someone else can find a flaw.

It is funny because some hours ago I was going to do that again but as I just as I was finishing Tex-ing my proof I realized how obviously correct it was and then decided to just not post it at all.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.