[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/ I have a question that has puzzled me for my entire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Capture.png (11KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
11KB, 500x465px
Hello /sci/ I have a question that has puzzled me for my entire conscious life. It is related to optics and light. Whenever I look a light for example street light, small led, or star I can squint my eyes to the point of seeing double. The thing is though when I do this the small bright light source gets bigger in my vision. I makes small round shape in my vision. Inside this shape are random patterns of light and darkness. I sketched an example of the pattern I'm talking about to show this better. It looks like a really high definition lense flare to be honest. My question is wtf is this shape? What causes the pattern? Does it depend on the light, is it random, or is it my eye.
>>
>>8730949
Usually when we squint our eyes, the eyelashes cause a diffraction pattern similar to the lens flare effect. http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/34222/squinting-at-street-lights
>>
>>8730949
Think of the double slit experiment. It only starts acting strange when the slits are very small (it wouldn't work with a meter wide slit, for example). Only then does the interference start occurring.
When you squint hard enough, the light that enters your eyes starts acting as if it's going through a narrow slit, and therefore starts interfering with itself (and creating those weird shapes in the process).
>>
>>8730964
That would make parallel lines if it was my eyelashes. Anyways it works when I pull my eyelashes back.
>>
I just looked at this light and there was a dark spot in the inner circle. I blinked my eyes and it was gone. It's hard to keep focus and the shape gets bigger and smaller. Then dark spot appeared again and it looked like it was moving. Suddenly it disappeared and there was three smaller ones where it was. Then two.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction
>>
>>8730975
It's not my eyelashes
>>
>>8730983
It doesn't have anything to do with your lashes.
>>
>>8730991
I'm not seeing rays of light in a shape of a star though.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.