[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is mathematics just an extension of philosophy /sci? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: DSC_2064.jpg (115KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2064.jpg
115KB, 1024x680px
Is mathematics just an extension of philosophy /sci? I'm totally disturbed by that.
>>
Why?
>>
no

most philosophy is not axiomatic at all
>>
>>8730920
mathematics is an extension of philosophy in the sense that it is an advanced version of analytic philosophy, proof of this is that most medieval and ancient mathematical texts pretty much read like analytic philosophy texts today (in that they reason with language, but attempting to be as precise as possible)
>>
>>8730920
no they are both an extension of logic
>>
>>8730928

What? For example, Austrian Economics and Praxeology are 100% axiomatic, do you think they are an extension of mathematics?
>>
File: 1482487450823.jpg (110KB, 800x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1482487450823.jpg
110KB, 800x1056px
motherfucka everything is philosophy

math music politics art astrology and all dat shit

theres literally no limits
>>
>>8730929
but thats exactly what people do today they just use more abstracted notation and still use language to explain their argument
>>
>>8730990
Art is philosophical yet
Art just is~
>>
>>8730920
Philosophy is the parent subject of the STEM subsubjects.
>>
>>8731026
Explain why it is a subject and not the principal foundation of mathematics
>>
>>8731129
Because of semantics.
>>
>>8731135
What did you just say about da Jews?
>>
File: oy_vey.jpg (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
oy_vey.jpg
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>8731145
S-SHUT IT D-DOWN!
>>
It is an extension of logic
>>
>>8731852
No, it is logic, however instead of using words as in the philosophical school of logic, we use symbols.
>>
>>8731855
philosophical logic uses symbols as well
>>
>>8731875
Really? That's interesting, I might start studying logic-logic out of interest.
>>
>>8731876
try 'the logic manual'
>>
File: 2ed.png (26KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
2ed.png
26KB, 750x750px
>>8730990
If there are no limits, then how do you explain continuity?
>>
>>8731895
Thank you, anon.
>>
>>8730920
In the sense that both mathematics and philosophy are a study of the "possible", and idealizations, yes.

Science is a study of the "actual".
>>
>>8730920
Philosophy is a series of ideas of how the world might work. Logic, math, science, religion, postmodernism are some of those ideas.
>>
>>8730929
So philosophers started doing something fairly recently that mathematicians had been doing long before, and somehow that makes mathematics a subset of philosophy?

You've got it backwards.
>>
>>8731901
There are limits they just get over them
>>
All sciences are just improved elaborate pattern recognitions
>>
Isn't religion philosophy or is it a bunch of bullshit that doesn't exist? I'm thinking the latter.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.