[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Someone else's success doesn't define my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

>"Someone else's success doesn't define my failure."

Just saw this in another thread and it reminded me of something that has been posted by my professor last week.

I have a group assignment that has a value of 40% of the final grade. The grading system of the assignment is based like this:

>First place gets 100%.
>Second place gets 90%
>...
>Last place gets 50%

That only works if you satisfy all the requirenments and deliver everything on time, otherwise you just get 0%.

My question, is this allowed in higher education ? Seems a little bit unfair.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>8729643
It's retarded but I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. It's essentially just absurdly harsh curving.
>>
>>8729643
Good way making monkey workers.
Bad way making functional people.
>>
>>8729643
I would honestly talk to a department head about that.

That's literally forcing a portion of the class to fail regardless of the quality of their work.
>>
>>8729643
I'm kind of doubting this is real. No way that would fly anywhere but some shit tier university with a grumpy professor with tenure.
>>
>>8729643
>is this allowed in higher education ? Seems a little bit unfair

If multiple people can get on same places - why not?

At universities, you're barely limited by any other factors than will to work and your intelligence. Such types of competition is perfectly fair and fine, since 90% of people who drop out or get low grades do it because simply because of their vices, not because there are some obstacles that are beyond their control. I have little empathy to those who get bad grades in uni, as being idiots is their fault. And such grading systems as ones you've described guarantees that idiots will fail and smart people will excel.
>>
OP here, thanks for the input everyone.

>>8729665
It still punishes you if you can't get your group to work together efficiently. You could have to do all the work and still, possibly, only get a 50% due to time restrictions and work load.

I would understand if it was a personal assignment, not a group one.

Anyway, I'll just roll with it. No need to antagonise the professor, it could backfire later.
>>
>>8729705
>It still punishes you if you can't get your group to work together efficiently. You could have to do all the work and still, possibly, only get a 50% due to time restrictions and work load.

Ah, yes, in that case it sure is shit. Whenever I used to work in group assignments in school I ended up doing 90% of work since seven out of eight people usually are just in school to get minimal grades. Same logic I described does not apply too broadly here.
>>
You should talk to your school higher-ups about any curve-based grading that takes place.
>>
File: sweat.jpg (81KB, 740x460px) Image search: [Google]
sweat.jpg
81KB, 740x460px
>>8729643
>group assignment
>>
>>8729764
>talk to your school higher-ups
implying they care
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.