[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What general would an undergraduate look to do in terms of research

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1483693274833.jpg (69KB, 460x795px) Image search: [Google]
1483693274833.jpg
69KB, 460x795px
What general would an undergraduate look to do in terms of research opportunities in mathematics?
>>
>>8729574

*in general
>>
>>8729574
I'm interested in this.
Asking a professor you like wouldn't hurt, I guess.
>>
You missed the deadline for the mathematics REU's this year, but you should be able to hit them up next year. Google them.
>>
We don't know you at all. Ask a professor
>>
>>8729586

In general though. What kind of work entails 'mathematical research'.
>>
>>8729589
It varies wildly. Ask a professor with whom you're interested on working.
>>
>>8729574
Start researching something /very/ specific. You may find something that's golden, and if you don't, hey, at least you learned something. I got published as an undergraduate in a journal that's top 10 because of this. Just remember that it's really taxing and that your grades may fall because of it.
>>
>>8729594

How abstract should I look? I don't have much in terms of abstract algebra or analysis under my belt, which is why I'm concerned.
>>
>>8729598
try to figure out how to n-sect an angle
that ought to keep you busy for awhile
>>
>>8729608

Any arbitrarily drawn angle in two dimension? Does the problem hold for n-D
>>
>>8729598
I don't know, I was very lucky. I had it 'click' one night that there's something that appeared to be a paradox, so I naturally assumed I'm misunderstanding something. After reading for like seven months on the subject I was sure that it was overlooked and I solved it. Why do you want to publish as an undergraduate? Despite doing so myself I was unsure if everything in the paper's alright until my professor green-lit it. I still feel ashamed because of that.
>>
>>8729574
1. Find a math professor you like
2. Go look at his research areas
3. Go read his publications, his students applications
4. If you're still interested ask him for a research position
Some professor's know exactly how to use you.
>>
>>8729581

Can you explain what that means to someone who has never been introduced to this?
>>
>>8729742
http://www.ams.org/programs/students/emp-reu
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.