[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does social science work? Do social scientists develop theories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1488893442377.jpg (307KB, 2048x742px) Image search: [Google]
1488893442377.jpg
307KB, 2048x742px
How does social science work?
Do social scientists develop theories and put them to test, by making verifiable predictions?
>>
>>8728641
>How does social science work?

You become a grad student, you suck up to your Professor's political ideas by writing papers that confirm their own biases, get respect by your superiors, become a professor yourself and then push your ideology into the next line of students.

>Do social scientists develop theories and put them to test, by making verifiable predictions?

Some time ago they did, until they realized that science, specially fringe fields no one cares about, has no checks and balances so you can publish whatever as long as you p-hack it enough.

The wage gap is a good example of that. Literally made up.
>>
>>8728658
But then how comes that social science branch keeps getting funding.
What is the benefit that social scientists provide to the society?
>>
>>8728658
t. jaded humanitiesfag
>>
>>8728664
>But then how comes that social science branch keeps getting funding.

Social Science gets most of its funding from political organizations.

Like "The research center for women" would fund research on the wage gap and such.
>>
>>8728641
Pretty much this, desu:
>>8728658
They used to take a more positivist approach, but then they realised that they were being too reductionist in explaining complex phenomena, and that new data often shattered their existing theories by revealing contradictions.
They made their theories more flexible, more nebulous, and less objective to keep them consistent in explaining new data within their ideological frameworks, and as a result they lost all descriptive and predictive power.
Sociological studies nowadays have become tools to confirm your biases.
>>
>>8728672
So you would argue that in reality, social science is a method to legitimize a certain political ideology?
>>
>>8728682
Pretty much. I mean, what else have they done in this millenium other than work towards proving political ideologies?

Conservative psychologists show "proof" that gay conversion therapy, that trans people are mentally ill, etc.

Liberal psychologists show "proof" that gender is a social construct and that everyone is actually a homosexual.

Which one is it? Who the fuck knows.
>>
>>8728686
It is kinda sad that they use the good name of science to hide the true nature of their ideological and dogmatic goals
>>
>two spaces after a period

Literally unreadable
>>
>>8728702
that's why nobody with their brain intact sees any of them as a real science
>>
>>8728729
why is it called science?
>>
>>8728686
>>8728729
Please don't put the whole of psychology into the same bracket as social "science". I presume you see many liberal feminists studying "psychology" (wacko shit like psychoanalysis), but the other side of psychologists actually try to work with it empirically, rigorously and realistically as with any science. Think neuropsychology.

I suppose these actual researchers get overshadowed by the cesspit of politically-leaning "scientists" (fools).

The apple is tasty and real, but there are many worms.
>>
>>8728752
Psychology is at a dangerous point, where it can either go the way of the social sciences, or it can stay scientific, like medicine. There's a split in psychology between these two camps, and I dunno who's winning.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.