[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't food manufacturers call everything organic? Everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: 100percentorganic.jpg (183KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
100percentorganic.jpg
183KB, 1200x900px
Why don't food manufacturers call everything organic? Everything has carbon in it, right?
>>
Because organic is a meme label to attract hipsters and soccer moms and make them feel good while not actually doing anything; it doesn't really mean anything at all.
>>
I argue this with everyone who buys "organic" food
>>
>>8727871
>Repeating OP's implication back to him as an answer

Brainlet detected
>>
>>8727880
Could this be turned into a money making opportunity? Could I just buy something and re-package it with the label "Organic" and sell it at twice the cost?
>>
>>8727886
That's done with most of the fancy water. It's re-brand tapwater. I swear rich faggots need to stop this cancer.
>>
>>8727861
Pretty sure you have to legally qualify to use the organic label
>>
>>8727896
You could just write "Organic Matter" but use a smaller font for "Matter" and not break any laws.
>>
>>8727871
People concerned about their health do care about avoiding harsh chemicals, pesticides and artificial preservatives in their food. It's not a meme.

Organic simply means the food has been prepared through natural means.
>>
>>8727861

They pretty much do these days
>>
>>8727871
>Implying only hipsters and soccer moms eat healthy
>>
technical coal is organic as well, and diamonds.
>>
File: smbc chemical free.png (615KB, 684x2304px) Image search: [Google]
smbc chemical free.png
615KB, 684x2304px
>>8727936
But organic pesticides tend to be harsher chemicals than artificial ones.

> Organic simply means the food has been prepared through natural means.
Almost zero food comes from "natural sources". All of it comes from millenia of selective breeding and many many other artificial techniques. Natural means isn't really well defined.
>>8727861
except for salt
:^)

>>8727896
Pretty sure there's no regulatory body that labels "organic" labeling. I may be thinking of "green" labeling. My chemist friends make soap.
>>
>>8727936
Nope, that's what they want you to think. Organic growth still allows use of some pesticides, usually older and nastier ones, and says nothing about how the food is prepared.
>>
>>8728045
>Pretty sure there's no regulatory body that labels "organic" labeling.

In the US, Canada, and probably a lot of other countries the federal government has rules on what's "organic" and not. Farms have to get certified and there's a ton of rules like you can't have your "organic" garden within ten feet of a neighbor who isn't.

It's a bit of a conspiracy IMHO. There's never been any proof of the health claims of organic food, so lobbyists insisted the government needed to set standards to protect organic farmers from fakers. After that happened they all acted like it was an endorsement by government scientists of the health benefits of organic food.
>>
>>8728068
This
>>
>>8728068
I'm pretty sure both my neighbor and I are organic.
>>
>>8728045
>Organic pesticides tend to be harsher chemicals than artificial ones

This is simply not true. What is true, however, is that when people (on an individual level) use organic pesticides they tend to over-use, and often assume what they are exposed to is perfectly healthy.

Organic pesticides can certainly be very hazardous, but certain artificial ones are worse. Granted, most of the artificial pesticides that are severely dangerous are banned and see little use, while highly toxic organic pesticides are permitted.
>>
>>8728045
The USDA has specific rules on what can and can not be considered organic.

I am not sure what the process is for other countries
>>
File: index.jpg (6KB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 186x186px
My wife told me I never bring her to an organic.
>>
>>8727861
its a marketing ploy, that's it
>>
>>8728171
What's wrong with marketing if it sells more of your product?
>>
ITT: edgy teen retards who think it's cool to fill themseves with synthetic chemicals because eating food which was grown naturally challenges their autistic reliance on the great god 'science'.
>>
>>8727886
You're about 10 years late to the party.
>>
>>8727861
It means it has been grown without the use of inorganic, anthropogenic chemicals
>>
>>8728264
Wut, organic food is like an ethical imperative of you understand ecology. Ecologists usually aren't keen on eating commercial food anyhow
>>
>>8727880
>>8727886
You're both retarded.
It means it hasn't been grown with inorganic, anthropogenic chemicals, and being certified organic is an actual certification and not a marketing ploy like "all-natural"
T. Farmer
>>
Food which was grown with chemicals should be labelled 'chemical food' by law, and organic food should just be labelled 'food'.

In b4 some retard starts derping about the definition of 'chemical'.
>>
>>8729407
> In b4 some retard starts derping about the definition of 'chemical'.
You mean you?
Chemical is a well-defined term. You using it incorrectly is your fault, not ours.
>>
>>8727880
Oill is 100% organic as well.
But when it comes to food, there are strict rules about it being organic, you cant use inorganic fertilizer and cant use pesticides and so on.
>>
Sometimes I think there are some smart people on this board. Then I see threads like this where people literally believe that organic food means it is composed of carbon.
>>
>>8729482
Pretty sure it was a joke.
I take it you never took a chemistry course?
>>
>>8729412
See? Exactly what I mean. They just can't resist. What a twat.
>>
File: Monsanto_Shill.png (47KB, 832x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Monsanto_Shill.png
47KB, 832x1199px
>>8727861
>>
>>8729431
>cant use pesticides

You can, but they have to be organic ones. There's quite a few.
>>
>>8729789
You're the one misusing the term chemical to mean "anything that scares me".

You're on a science board, retard.
>>
>>8729849
Spot on.
>>
>>8729407
so will chemical food feed my pet molecules
>>
>>8729213

The government also certifies naturopaths and chiropractors despite them being baloney. Organic farming has always been a marketing ploy but they lobbied hard to get the FDA involved because it gives it a false sense of legitimacy. If I convinced people playing happy music to plants made them more nutritious then got the FDA to step in and make sure happy music was really being played it wouldn't be any less of a scam.
>>
>>8729213
anthropogenic =/= inorganic

Toxaphene, for example, is both anthropogenic and organic. Sodium chloride is natural and inorganic.

That said, I know what you meant, and am aware of the USDA certification process.
>>
>>8728038
ya and co2???

nice try retard. false!!
>>
>>8730724
>I know what you meant, and am aware of the USDA certification process.
Then why did you correct him, when it was clear that he was talking about a different definition of the word 'organic'?
>>
>>8729849
This reads like Trolling 101.
>>
>>8728120
>Granted, most of the artificial pesticides that are severely dangerous are banned and see little use, while highly toxic organic pesticides are permitted.
That's what I said
>>
>>8731149
Because definitions are important.
>>
>>8731269
No, what you said is that organic pesticides use harsher chemicals. This is not true in general, for example, certain third world countries still allow the use of highly dangerous anthropogenic pesticides such as parathion. Regulations in the US and EU, etc., are the only obstacle to the usage of these pesticides. In the general case, artificial pesticides are considerably more dangerous.
>>
>>8727861
>>8727871

Because in America to be "organic" it has to abide by USDA guidelines.
>>
>>8731726
>I know that you are using this meaning of the word
>But I will correct you on the basis of that meaning of the word
>Although both are equally correct
>>
>>8731828
That is the long and short of it, yes.
>>
>>8727861

It's a meme my dude
>>
>>8727861

literal meme level
>>
>>8727861
Because the word "organic" has a different different definition in the chemical context than it does in the legal context, you fucking pedant.
>>
it's meme shit my dude
>>
>>8727861
They use it as a synonym for natural and organic sounds sophisticated and wholesome.

They are attempting to convey that the product is authentic and safe and is not overproccessed with chemical additives.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.