[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"""/geo/ general""" How's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: olivine thin section.jpg (74KB, 398x261px) Image search: [Google]
olivine thin section.jpg
74KB, 398x261px
"""/geo/ general"""

How's it going rock lickers?
>>
>>8726548

I've been going through government canyon in Texas with my dad and we've found evidence that suggests that there's pre-clovis toolmaking here.

cool stuff.
>>
>>8726548
I hate this shit and I dont know about job chances/security after graduation
>>
>>8726573
what year are you in, and what region of the U.S. do you live in?
>>
>>8726579
in Canada, year 5 and won't be graduating this year either cuz I failed a field course and have to retake it. will be done in fall 2017.
>>
Im from the metallographic field.
How common is to prepare micrographs in this field? How do you prepare samples like ops pic?
>>
>>8726662
send out rocks to be made into thin sections. I've never done it myself
>>
>>8726761
oh well
>>
>>8726573
>>8726593
Queen's?

you an eng like me?
>>
>>8726791
nah I'm in Alberta doing geophysics. I'm just hoping there are more applications to this besides oil and gas, since that is heavily fronted.
>>
>>8726548
What causes the formation or structure of ooids?
>>
>>8726548

There are no jobs in geology.

geology isn't a real science.

it's a glorified hobby.

now fuck off with these threads rock twat.
>>
>>8728168
What makes a certain field to be considered as a real science then?
>>
>>8728170

mapping bedding planes and classifying minerals in a thin section all day.

Just let it go.
>>
>>8728176

This. Geologists aren't scientists.

LMAO
>>
>>8726548
Thanks Doc.
>>
>>8728176
I think it's more than that
>>
>>8726548
I didn't think olivine had colors in such high orders
>>
>>8728168
There are no jobs in geology.
>There are, I have one, and the growth rate for geology jobs until 2024 is higher than average (10%)

geology isn't a real science.
> it is. Clearly defined terminology, quantifiable, controlled conditions, reproducibility, predicatbility and testability, are all conditions make a field a legitimate science. Geology meets all these requirements including controlled conditions, and if you would like I can go into that with you.

it's a glorified hobby.
> A hobby is an activity enjoyed during one's leisure time. When hobbies provide economic well being for parties involved they become jobs, careers, fields. Markets are built around them. Geology has grown from a hobby from the days of Lyell into a scientific field, a lot like the other sciences or natural philosophies.
>>
>>8728693
Probably that guy's mindset about science is all about numbers, math, calculations and shit.
>>
>chemistry graduate program
>incoming students need to go to this event weekly where we talk to a bunch of other graduates from different departments + a senior grad student
>physics guy says he's doing experimental physics and rattles off about a bunch of stuff I don't understand
>bioengineer talks about proteins and computational wor
>I talk about transition metal chemistry and energy applications
>geologist
>"yeah, we're looking at rock slides and mudslides and seeing where they come from"

Fucking rock "science" I tell you man.
>>
File: WijLt31.jpg (34KB, 385x240px) Image search: [Google]
WijLt31.jpg
34KB, 385x240px
>>8728950
>Two students use their ultimate sperg powers to deliver poor descriptions of their projects.
"Wow, I didn't understand that. Must be scientific!"
>Geologist gives a facile explanation because he can tell you're a non-geologist.
"Fucking brainlets! Geology isn't a science."
>Geologist probably would have gone into more depth had you asked.
>>
>>8728168
>>8728185
idk about geology but geophysics is really math and science heavy.
>>
File: worried.jpg (69KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
worried.jpg
69KB, 520x678px
>>8726548
Fucking finally. We've been needing one of these generals. Keep it going boys!

Studying microbiolites from Storr's lake, San Salvador Island, The Bahamas right now. Excited because I'm traveling there this summer with some faculty and students.

Just waiting for our thin sections to get back right now. Paper needs to be done this semester.
>pic related me waiting

>>8728168
Fuck off

>>8728950
It's because Geologists aren't autistic, and actually know how to talk to people. I hope a mudslide wipes your fucking house away.
>>
I have room for a minor and my current major is environmental Microbiology.

What kinds of things do you think I'll learn while getting a minor in geology I have a pretty superficial understanding of semi precious gemstones because I worked at a gemstone store for 3 years but I'd actually like to know more about rocks and minerals besides the bullshit metaphysical properties I had to learn at that job.
>>
>>8730702
>Geologists aren't autistic
I mean, some of us are
t. assburgered geofag
>>
>>8730717
It wouldn't hurt you to take some geochemistry classes.

>metaphysical properties
Don't even get me started. Apparently Galena is a fucking healing mineral....
>>
>>8730733
It was pants on head retarded my freind. If I wasn't sick as a dog I could go on all night about all the bullshit people belive in those environments. Truly I felt bad for the people who actually enjoyed geology and had to put up with all the newage trash in that store.

But on a more serious note, I know a team made an announcement about find some unique microbes in the gypsum cases in Mexico and that shit is absolutely fascinating to me.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.