[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you know that an ytterbium crystal does not simply exist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (189KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
189KB, 1000x1000px
Did you know that an ytterbium crystal does not simply exist in our silly three-dimensional world, but in a fourth dimension as well? Of course you didnt, you silly human.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.popularmechanics.com/science/amp24957/time-crystals/
>>
>>8725323
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/amp24957/time-crystals/
>>
http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/scientists-unveil-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals/

Never heard of this until today, but it is interesting. Is there any practical application for this?
>>
>>8725355
Its is non-equilibrium matter. It represents an entire new class of materials.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 410x305px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 410x305px
>>8725323
Here is the phase diagram.
>>
>>8725355
It really depends if this is repeatable and not just misreading of results and such.

If it is real, then what happens if you add energy to it? Well, there's a shit load of questions that need answering before anyone would really know what this could be used for ultimately. Just tossing out "might be good for quantum computing!" is premature.
>>
>>8725377
The experiement was first performed at UC Berkley, and it was then succesfully repeated at MIT. Thats only two tests, but the two positive results are promising indicators that this is a legitimate result.
>>
Will this let us time travel through time?
>>
>tfw i have to align the ytterbium crystal matrix in my warp core
>>
>>8725411
No. I'm betting it doesn't let us do anything.
>>
>>8725463
Humanity defies the conservation of energy and creates a crystal that will out last the heat death of the universe.

>probably nothing.
>>
>>8725463
Why? You did not explain your response in any way.
>>
which dimension are we calling time?
>>
>>8726072
The imaginary one
>>
>>8725323
Can someone give me a quick rundown?
>>
>>8725323
Ohh cool, like star warz
>>
>>8726106
ayylmaos are jelly af about this tech
>>
Can it make bigger bombs?

Legit question. If it can't it's useless.
>>
>perpetual motion vibrators
>>
File: Libyanchase10.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Libyanchase10.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>8725323
Bout time.
>>
how can it vibrate without using any energy? Doesn't that violate some law of physics or something?
>>
Also how do you even go about placing 10 single ions accurately in a certain pattern and then hitting them with a laser? The scale of that shit baffles me, what sort of instruments enable them to manipulate single atoms and keep them in place?
>>
>>8727018
There is an unknown mechanic at play as to why. Like a underwater sauna jet ripples the water at the surface, we are seeing the rippling but have no clue what the source is.
>>
>>8727018
It doesn't violate anything as long as you can't extract infinite WORK from the system. Something can be in perpetual motion but starts deteriorating if you interact with it(orbit), or something can just be in motion in a way that no work can be extracted from it(vacuum fluctuation).
>>
>>8725323
perpetuum mobile will happen within our lifetimes
>>8727053
shut up ass hole
>>
Isn't this a demonstration of zero point energy?
>>
>>8728114
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_crystal

Yes it is related.
>>
Molecular perpetual motion machine?
>>
>add magnets to it
>extract energy
>>
>start using this to extract energy from the 4th dimension
>unknowingly cause an instability that is noticed by 4th dimensional higher beings
>they become upset at us recklessly using this technology and destroying their extra dimensional habitat
>use their super advanced weaponry to vaporize all of humanity
>>
>>8729240
Kyoma leave
>>
>>8725323
Quantum computing here we come
>>
>>8725474
>Humanity defies the conservation of energy
What is reading comprehension
>>
>>8725323
I hope they come up with a better name. "Time crystals" sound like a low-budget sci-fi film plot element.
>>
>>8729240
have you read the gods themselves?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.