[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to be smart, /sci/. I'm interested in quantum mechanics,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_8.png (189KB, 339x363px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_8.png
189KB, 339x363px
I want to be smart, /sci/. I'm interested in quantum mechanics, astronomy and computer science. Can you recommend me some books of these fields? I feel like I'm not getting any smarter by watching youtube videos about, it seems like just the "for dumbs" version.
>>
>>8724973
First you need to learn some math. You don't learn quantum mechanics through pop sci metaphors, you learn it by making sense of the math.
>>
>>8724977
Well, that's a beginning. I only know the high school math, is this enough?
>>
All of those books are useless unless your algebra and trig skills are good. In order to understand CS books you need a solid foundation in combinatorics, go read Rosen's textbook. CS really has the lowest "knowledge" entry point, but it can get much more complicated once you pass that threshold.
>>
>>8724973
>QM
First:
Hassani - Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations

Then:
Griffiths - Introduction to Quantum mechanics
Greiner - Introduction to Quantum mechanics
Shankar - Principles of Quantum mechanics

Finally:
Lancaster and Blundel - Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur
Schwartz - Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model
Srednicki - Quantum Field Theory
>>
>>8724981
For something like QM, No. You need to learn calculus up to vector Analysis.
>>
>>8724981
>>8724985
Oh if thats all you've got then swap Hassani for:
Riley et al. - Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering
>>
>>8724981
No, you'll need to know graduate-level mathematics. Math will be a central part of your career. If the notion of just doing math half your waking hours for the rest of your life seems bad, then physics isn't for you.
>>
File: Required Reading.jpg (2MB, 1360x3837px) Image search: [Google]
Required Reading.jpg
2MB, 1360x3837px
>>8724973
>>
>>8724973
If you want to become intelligent, you need to do several things first

Your life needs to be in order AKA you need to get your shit together.. Get a full body MRI to make sure you aren't going to die of cancer in the next year or whatever. Go to a neuropsychologist to make sure your brain is working at it's optimum conditions. They will probably have you go to a sports medicine center to work on physical and mental exercises, in the same vein that people who get concussions have to. They will more than likely make you start practicing aerobic exercise every day for 30 minutes so your brain is as healthy as it can be. While doing this, you need to be seeing a therapist to put to rest all of your problems that you keep going back to and dwelling on so you can move forward with a better life. Meanwhile, you should be starting to slowly learn mathematics, physics, chemistry etc... do all of this until your therapies are completed and you are in the best shape you can be.
>>
>>8724982
This.
There is also entire PDF on computer science math https://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring15/mcs.pdf
>>
>>8725032
This will help with my concentration, right? I think my biggest problem today is the fact that I easily get distracted, so I can't study too much hours a day.
>>
>i want to learn quantum mechanics because it sounds impressive
>>
>>8724982
this this this rosen is gold.

if rosen is too hard go with epp first then go back to rosen
>>
>>8724998
Can definitely recommend this. Most of the math ever need to understand physics.
>>
File: narr_am_galgen.jpg (51KB, 420x596px) Image search: [Google]
narr_am_galgen.jpg
51KB, 420x596px
>>8724973
>I want to be smart
Well there went that dream
>>
Go on Amazon to order some college level text books. You can study and work through the problems at your own pace. We live in an amazing age where knowledge is more available than ever. There's no excuse not to learn more about whatever you're interested in. Some people spend their money and even their lives collecting stamps of all things when you could be growing your knowledge.

Or you could waste another day doing nothing.
>>
quantum mechanics was fucking plagiarized
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.