[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me understand how does electricity travels inside a wire.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: download.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 225x225px
Help me understand how does electricity travels inside a wire.

They teach us in school that there is electrical current when there is a difference in potential so the charge carriers travel from higher potential to lower to balance itself out and we use this desire for balance to power up stuff. Somewhat similar analogy with gravitational potential energy.

But I dont understand how do we make points of high potential in the first place?
I thought that electrons do not move that much in a wire, they are just a medium for the electrical force, just like air is for the sound.

So how do we make electrons that also repel each other be in the same place so when we let them go they discharge toward low potential point and thus invoking the current? I mean if they actually never move much that means there is not excess of electrons in one place right? Its the excess of the "electricity"? I dont get it sorry
>>
>>8724915
Electrons don't actually move, they are energized so the matter itself becomes energized in a way that creates imbalance. Magnets.
>>
>>8724915
yeah, magnets. look up Faraday's work, its pretty easy stuff.
>>
They don't move that much, but they are very tightly compacted and push against one another.
>>
File: fields m8.png (16KB, 1189x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fields m8.png
16KB, 1189x1000px
>>8724915
>>8724954
As an addendum, each electron is both repelled and propelled by the electrons ahead and behind (in 1-space) of it, so all you care about is the field attracting/repelling it.
>>
>>8724961
So basically when they say "the point of high potential" do they refer specifically to "many electrons in one place waiting to burst" or its something more abstract?
>>
you need to look up a thing called drift velocity
and perhaps skin effect

>Free electrons in a conductor follow a random path. Without the presence of an electric field, the electrons have no net velocity. When a DC voltage is applied, the electron drift velocity will increase in speed proportionally to the strength of the electric field. The drift velocity is on the order of millimeters per hour. AC voltages cause no net movement; the electrons oscillate back and forth in response to the alternating electric field (over a distance of a few micrometers)
>>
File: bruh.png (13KB, 1189x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bruh.png
13KB, 1189x1000px
>>8724971
High potential is a big slope, so imagine a load of electrons skidding down a steep slope, very quickly at that.
>>
>>8724979
But they're not right? They move very little and they all have the same elementary charge each and thats why I'm confused about how is high point even made. Are they actually pushed to high point by external field so there is actual physical lack of electrons on the other end?
>>
>>8724978
I get how they move I think I dont get how is the actual field "transfere" over electrons who dont move much. How do they pass the energy? Same like air with sound waves? Is it same analogy?
>>
>>8724993
Exactly, a negative field is created by a net negative charge.
[eqn]
\vec{E} = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}r^{2}}\hat{r}
[/eqn]
There is a physical lack of electrons at a positive charge.
>>
>>8725007

>not \textbf for vector fields

engineer detected, lol
>>
Wut? Seven years of secondary school and an A Level in Physics, and electrons don't flow? Dafuq is electricity then? What is happening when the red wire from the battery touches the light bulb and makes a circuit?
>>
>>8724993
Just to clarify a point that wasn't made in the thread, the electrons DO move, A potential is a bunch of electrons contrasted with a large absence of electrons. The electrons move towards the lack of electrons due to a force that is proportional to the charge (lack or amount of electrons present at the point)
There is a net electric force such that the electrons move.
>>
>>8725064
>>8725110
The electrons move enough in one atom to trigger the next atom. They don't leave their atom. Even a electric spark isn't electricity, it is recombination.
>>
>>8725110
>A potential is a bunch of electrons contrasted with a large absence of electrons
How can there be actual absence of electrons? they literally leave their atoms and group in one place thus making high potential??
>>
Thank you for the thread OP, I was quite confused about this as well.
>>
>>8727079
There simply cannot be a way that you are now less confused having read this thread.
>>
If I remember correctly they move at a rate of millimeters per hour.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.