[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you need to study math and/or be really good at math to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: maths-ftr.jpg (154KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
maths-ftr.jpg
154KB, 1240x775px
Do you need to study math and/or be really good at math to be considered intelligent?
>>
>>8721001
>wants to be considered intelligent
pleb
>>
>>8721001
No.
>>
>>8721001
From what I have seen smart people are good at math and dumb people are bad at math.
I firmly believe there is direct correlation between mathematical ability and intelligence.
>>
>>8721001
If you're smart, you should be good at math.
If you're good at math, you're not necessarily smart.
>>
>>8721001
Pretty much. Mathematics makes up intelligence.

And by that I don't mean that other people like say, dancers, are completely retarded. Dancers have an "intelligence" but our society at large separates mental skill from physical skill and calls mental skill intelligence, and physical skill talent.

So by that logic intelligence in modern society is literally defined as the abbility to do math.
>>
>>8721001
>Do you need to study math
If one is ever to save one's self and to contribute/help society significantly, then yes. If I didn't learn math, I would have believed that I was deficient in this practically critical field of study. There are many fields we need to study to attain brilliance. So too, now I can see which stem guys are only blowing smoke and mirrors so I don't get scammed, fakenewed, impressed needlessly and senselessly.
>>
>>8721001
No, people can consider you intelligent for all sorts of dumb reasons. I've met people who consider other people intelligent simply for espousing political views that align with their own views, or for having a four-year degree in English.
>>
Do you think brain surgeons are dumb or average since they don't use math?
>>
>>8721163
Half truth. I deal with degreed individuals at work that require a literal 15 minute conversation explaining the conversion of Farenheit to Celsius. Ive noticed smarts in one area means they have sacrificed smarts in another.
>>
to be considered intelligent by whom? you could read some philosophy books and say stuff u read and people will believe ur very intelligent. say, people think sam harris is very intelligent but he might not be able to integrate some certain polynomial, which is something any mathematician could do with no problem
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.