[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>having really hard time on hw problem >ask TA >he can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: snowy doggo.jpg (392KB, 1195x1593px) Image search: [Google]
snowy doggo.jpg
392KB, 1195x1593px
>having really hard time on hw problem
>ask TA
>he can't solve it either
>decide whatever it's only one problem and I have to turn it in now
>walk by professor's door, notice it's open and he's in there
>knock on doorframe, ask for help
>"okay"
>even stumps him for little
>while he's looking at it I suddenly wonder if this is even his office hours
"I'm sorry, are your office hours right now-"
>"no, no...I don't think so"
"I'm sorry-"
>"it's okay"
>suddenly feel really bad, like i'm intruding, but his door was open
>he's figures out the trick to the problem
>I apologize again for interrupting him
>he assures me it's fine, says he learned something too from the problem as it took him some time

was I a dick for barging in randomly and immediately asking for help?
>>
>>8719615
not at all, open doors belong to social people. As long as you polite and he agreed you're good. These people are there to serve you, take advantage of them but don't be rude about it. You offered him an interesting distraction and for all you know it gave him a research interest or idea.
>>
>>8719615
Probably not, in my experience your professors what to help you. If he was busy I'm sure he would have said so when you first asked for help.
>>
It's a Schroedingers Cat kind of situation, really.
You asked him if he could help you. He could've refused, but chose not to, so it's on him anyways.

Could you have been more considerate beforehand to look if it's his office hours or not?
Neeeh, maybe...

But at the end of the day what truly decides it, is how you carry yourself in this situation while coming at the man with a request. You did well, apparently.

And ultimately it would be him that gets to decide whether it was a dick move or not. So no way of telling until you try it. Therefore, Schroedinger.
>>
Why is the professor assigning problems he doesn't know how to solve immediately? I've always felt problem sets had particular problems that the professor thought were valuable for some reason, OP seems to imply the professor didn't review what he assigned
>>
>>8719639
I thought that was weird too, I just assumed it's been a while since someone has shown him the problem
>>
>>8719639
>Why is the professor assigning problems he doesn't know how to solve immediately?
Every single prof I've ever met recycles problem sets from year to year.
If it's not a fundamental question that he doesn't use for exams and nobody has asked him, he may not have looked at it in the last decade.
>>
You never, ever do that OP. He didn't want to bother screaming at you do he told you it was ok. But he will fail you
>>
Why are you this kind of bitch asses?

Firsty: You do your exercise by yourself and think it until the solution comes. Don't ever ask for help.

Secondly: you dont boot lick your "profs" ESPECIALLY IF YOU PAY HIS FUCKING SALARY
>>
>>8719765
I was staring at the problem and trying different things for literally 2 hours straight. I hate asking for help, and the fact that the problem was incredibly simple just made me all the more angry. But I had to the know the answer or else I would still be angry right now.

I was worried about the prof thing because he's extremely nice and a good teacher, and I didn't want to be rude.
>>
File: 1485728937522.jpg (90KB, 526x701px) Image search: [Google]
1485728937522.jpg
90KB, 526x701px
>>8719623
This
I'm a retard who goes to community college (a really good one) and the professors quote unquote have crazy good response times for email.
I think they like a lot of people in fields focused on 'helping' ie improving peoples lives put a lot of energy into compartmentalization so they don't get too sucked into the job

My family physician is a really caring dude who I can tell cares immensely about my well being
that's unusual in Canada because healthcare is socialized and therefore marred by the same apathy you get at the DMV - you get treated like just another line item, another product awaiting inspection before being packaged and shipped to the client.
He went on a year long furlough because he got sucked into the job too far

Medicine's a lot different than education though. And community college is different than college. Community college is 100% student education - University has aspects of research going on.
>>
>>8719799
>I was staring at the problem and trying different things for literally 2 hours straight.
This is a problem.
If you get stuck for 15 minutes you move on to something else and come back later.
At least so says the wisdom of the masters.
>>
>>8720089
Yeah the thing is I had nothing else to move on to. It was my last piece of work before break.
>>
>>8719765
>Firsty: You do your exercise by yourself and think it until the solution comes. Don't ever ask for help.
Then why bother attending uni at all?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.