[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of the Physics Engineering degree? My

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: confusion.jpg (82KB, 610x357px) Image search: [Google]
confusion.jpg
82KB, 610x357px
What's the point of the Physics Engineering degree?

My University offers this program and I don't understand the appeal when you can literally have a Physics degree if you like Physics or literally any other Engineering degree that specializes on a subject of your interest and not something vague as "Physics"
>>
>>8719332
Let me introduce you to a world in which changes in university structure are not made by real, tangible disciplines, but instead by the financial interest of universities themselves

This is how it happened. Some university called a board meeting.

A: Okay people, we need MORE MONEY. We need more students. What does the data show?

B: We are noticing that there is an irregularly large number of students double majoring in physics and engineering. Furthermore, the same is the case for students who get into engineering and then switch to physics, and vice versa.

A: I see, so are you telling me there are many students that want to study both physics and engineering? Maybe if we do something to appeal specifically to these students, many new students who would double major in other universities will instead decide to come to us.

B: Yes!

A: So what can we do for those students? How do we make more of them come into our university? We should make something that makes it easier to be both a physicist and an engineer, so that every person with that desire gets pulled into us!

C: Engineering Physics.

A: What? Does that exist? Is that a discipline of engineering or physics?

C: No. I just made it up. Lets make it up. Lets make a new degree called "Engineering Physics" and then lets randomly pick classes from both programs and call it a curriculum.

A: But what will Engineering Physics be really about? How can we sell it!

C: https://physics.stanford.edu/undergraduate-program/bs-engineering-physics

A: GENIUS. IT IS TIME TO MAKE MOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEEE MOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY

B: But sir! Won't those students know that this degree is not really teaching them to be physicists nor engineers?

A: That's the thing. Lets fucking lie. Lets tell the students that even though this is a regular 4 year degree, that this will teach them both disciplines. Even though that would theoretically take at least 6 years. WHO CARES. As long as we get their money, who gives a fuck.
>>
>>8719391
>https://physics.stanford.edu/undergraduate-program/bs-engineering-physics

To be fair, I feel someone with a degree in Engineering Computational Patty Flipping from Stanford would still be more qualified to be an engineer than me, with me shitty state school EE degree.
>>
>>8719391
Sounds like this literally happened, but even if that's the case, I study in a public University, what benefit would they have from having an Engineering Physics program? It's not like they are over our money, since we don't really have very much
>>
File: 1321024858886.gif (2MB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
1321024858886.gif
2MB, 245x230px
>>8719391
>Engineering Physics prepares students to apply physics to tackle 21st century engineering challenges, and to apply engineering to address 21st century questions in physics.

That first sentance.
>>
>>8719391
>Engineering Physics has a student society called EPIC
You can't make this shit up
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.