[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is psychology looked down upon as a pseudo-science despite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1476246793404.png (152KB, 359x414px) Image search: [Google]
1476246793404.png
152KB, 359x414px
Why is psychology looked down upon as a pseudo-science despite it being the most practical branch of science
>>
Because Freud.
>>
>>8718318
Fuck you

Freud was right about 90% of his theories but people only pay attention to the disproven ones
>>
>>8718317
Well-designed psychology research is science. The therapy side of it is mostly pseudo-scientific bullshit. Psychology is too young and the subject matter too complex for application of what we actually know to be fact. Most people only ever see the poorly designed research cause it gets all the hype, and the therapists that don't know jack, hence the feeling about psychology.
>>
>>8718332
Well things like click whirr and other conditioned responses are used by advertisers and businesses every day, and its application is widely regarded with high praise

Therapy is bullshit, I can agree with that
>>
>>8718317
Because human minds are a chaotic mess that don't hold to any real pattern, so you can never really be sure about what you're doing. And that's just in the principles of it, the reaction to this situation introduces further bullshittery.
>>
>>8718345
Well that's not true, humans can be conditioned like any other animal

And there are specific actions that will trigger a reaction due to the heredity of your genetics

For example if I give you a gift you would have the feeling of obligation, because that was how the trade system of tribal worked and those who did not give a gift back would be beaten and killed so that trait of obligation passed on

It's not 100% in all humans but for the majority the sense of obligation will be there

And there are 1000s of these types of conditioned responses
>>
>>8718317
Because there is no fundemental knowledge that all psychologists agree on like their is in physics or chemistry or biology.
>>
>>8718317

Pop-psychology
>>
>>8718317

Because it isn't "hard" like physics and chemistry. So what, you might ask, neither is biology and no-one doubts /its/ validity as a science. Psychology has the additional misfortune of having a completely different subject sharing a very similar name (psychiatry), leading people to attribute to psychology the many, many failings and foolishnesses of psychiatry.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.