[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice because /fit/ is too autistic and hate calisthenics,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I need some advice because /fit/ is too autistic and hate calisthenics, calling it gay and useless.

Is there any real research done if calisthenics and bodyweight actually build muscle?

You're the science nerds and I would trust you more than the homosexuals at fit spouting dumb memes from some youtube channels.
>>
>>8715972
calisthenics are good as a 1 month warm-up when starting to train seriously, but not long term, no
>>
>>8715982
what's the limit on bodyweight training.

isn't one arm push up the same as lifting a dumbell with at least 50% of your bodyweight?

I understand squat pistols are a meme, but it seems calisthenics can work for the upper body.

Not looking to look like a roid freak.
>>
>>8715972
Calisthenics is cheaper and more convenient. It will usually sort out any muscle imbalances too. But >>8715982 sums it up pretty well.
>>
>>8715983
Dude just run to the top of a small mountain a couple times a week and use a bicycle to get around, your legs will become freaks
>>
>>8715972
I don't want to be like pic related, but to have a nice and strong body. Would calisthenics be enough for that?
>>
>>8715972
Body weight exercises are good for-- moving your body. If you go hiking, or do parkour, or wish to do either body weight exercises are for you.

Free weights are good for body building and general health and fitness. For people with an extremely high ratio of mass to muscle body weight exercises can do damage to bones and joints as well as making it generally easier to over train.

Both will make you fitter, both will make you healthier (potentially), both will help you lose weight and gain muscle.

If you're body building you're going to want to do low reps of high weights. This *can* be done with body weight exercises, but is significantly easier with free weights. There have been articles circulating about how high reps/low weights are better for your health, but in terms of body building all you're really concerned with is hypertrophy. The general consensus amongst professional body builders is the more movement involved, the more energy your body uses on something other than increasing muscle size, so the workout du jour is something called high-intensity training. It makes sense, but I'm not sure there are many benefits over a traditional weightlifting regimen. That being said, I'm sure there are a lot of things professionals do that are of marginal benefit but are noticeable enough to give them a competitive edge.

Tl;dr: The best exercise is the one you're motivated to do. There are clear benefits to body weight exercises for people who wish to use their body weight in a practical setting, and there are clear benefits to free weights for body builders.
>>
calisthenics is shit because as you become stronger you have to change the mechanic of the exercise to increase difficulty, as opposed to simply adding weight to the bar
>>
>>8716031
This is irrelevant as long as you're exercising until failure.

The complaint then becomes you have to do more reps, but it generally takes about the same amount of time because you'll do more reps faster as your musculature and technique improve.
>>
>>8716046
it's sub-optimal and inefficient to keep increasing reps. Once you get past 30 consecutive push-ups there's no point, you can easily reach 100 in a matter of weeks and you won't be any bigger, so you have to try to do one-hand push-ups.
Calisthenics obviously does build muscle and strength it's just not the optimal/fastest/easiest way to do it. You're just limiting yourself.
>>
>>8715983
>>8716013
if you want suboptimal training then why are you asking if it's good? do whatever you want
>>
>>8716078
Because I don't have the money to pay for the gym and I have no space to keep weights I could make out of concrete. What do I do to get fit with an extremely limited budget?
>>
>>8716086
okay that's a different story
don't even consider "making weights out of concrete" or anything silly like that please, you'll injure yourself

dumbbells are very cheap. there are many, many free weight exercises you can do with dumbbells and some chairs/stools. calisthenics for a while and then dumbbells will take you a long way. see, there was this pdf about nutrition and training which focused on calisthenics + dumbbells for the first few months, which was amazing, but sadly I can't find it. look around for something like that, "ultimate bodyweight program" or something, there are a lot of similar ones, but this one included thorough explanations and diet concerns
>>
>>
The question is what you want.
Do you want big muscles, do you want to be healthy and feel lightweight and fit or do you want to improve at another sport.
I'd say bodybuildibg for the first case, calisthenics + running for the second and it varies for the third.
>>
Calisthenics are better than nothing. Do those until u can afford sometging better
>>
>>8715972
It's decent for the broad range of utilized muscles, but of course has a weight cap. At some point it'll become just aerobics.
>>
>>8715972
Yeah there are tons of studies that show that calisthenics are gay and useless.

Really though, how much muscle are you wanting to build? If you haven't exercised regularly since middle school P.E. class, then pretty much any exercise at all will build muscle.
>>
>>8716086
If you can't afford gym/weights, there is no way you can afford the amount of food you need to eat for serious gains.
>>
File: corrected bodyweight.jpg (3MB, 3773x4000px) Image search: [Google]
corrected bodyweight.jpg
3MB, 3773x4000px
>>8715972
>Is there any real research done if calisthenics and bodyweight actually build muscle?
Yes, and the answer is yes.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.