[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

While I was taking geology at uni we, people from the department,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: il_fullxfull.952370542_55nr.jpg (225KB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.952370542_55nr.jpg
225KB, 1125x1500px
While I was taking geology at uni we, people from the department, would often go out for drinks at the end of the day. One of my peers brought along her roommate who was hospitality management or nutrition or some other such major. She starts going on and on about the healing properties and the different auras of various natural crystals. She won't shut up about it, she thinks since we are all geo people this will get our dicks harder than corundum.

Everyone is just letting it happen, but I had never met this girl before, so I guess I didn't know the drill. She pulls out this necklace calls it "Blue Sandstone", starts telling us about how it must have formed in some mineral rich location and after eons in the ground it absorbed so much energy that now it radiates it out and keeps her grounded. Isn't it amazing how something natural can be so beautiful, look how it sparkles and shines it reflects from all angles just like someone who is grounded should. I wish more people would embrace the power of natural gemstones....like you all do.

I can't take it, so I just tell her straight up, that it's glass, normal man-made glass. She is probably older than that hunk of garbage silica, in fact I'm pretty sure it is a Venetian method from centuries ago to sell waste glass. It has no crystal habit, it has no natural energy, it does less to keep you grounded than the beer glass in my hand (at least that has beer in it).

She got pretty pissed. I don't get it are we just supposed to let people be wrong?
>>
>>8715184
It's cool looking so who cares.
>>
>>8715184
Copypasta
>>
stale pasta

if you want to discuss confronting superstition and ignorance you should have just said so.

if it is an elder I let them be ignorant but if it is someone my age I try to correct them gently with facts.

But I do love using the phrase 'magic sky daddy.'

If you are younger than 40 and believe in a deity you should neck yourself.
>>
>>8715211

If you wanted an actual answer though, just quietly letting people think they're smart is something most intelligent people learn to do because there are better things to do than to argue with someone too stupid to use Google.
>>
File: Cut_Cavern_Level_Walls.png (168KB, 358x321px) Image search: [Google]
Cut_Cavern_Level_Walls.png
168KB, 358x321px
do you reall ythink that if crash bandacoot had the same mentality as you we would be free of the cortex menace>
>>
>>8715184
This never happened. But if it did, it doesn't matter. Correct her if you want, don't if you don't. Her feelings are irrelevant to your life.
>>
>>8715184
>It has no crystal habit, it has no natural energy,
It helps her deal with life: as all drugs that seems good but are based on lies. She will have to one day face it's not saving her..
As far as energy, matter is energy so I guess it is energy. If it's not "natural" energy, then it must be un-natural or anti-energy.
>>
honestly, anybody that's not in STEM can't be saved. How other people 'felt' about their experience is literally more important than reality.

my gf, for example, is hispanic. They have shitloads of batshit crazy superstitions.
>> I have a cough (pnuemonia, actually, got treated)
>> gf and her mother reccomend snake. Literally ground rattlesnake. Claiming its very common and will make me feel better, because her mother took it after she had been ill, and made her feel better, and people they knew took it, and felt better afterwards, and claimed it was a common medicine in Mexico.
>> I bring up regression to the mean, they would have felt better anyway, an anecdote doesn't indicate any statistically significant effect.
>> "WTF anon! You can't just completely right off somebody's experience and say its wrong!"
>> ''...but you can. if it doesn't have any pharmacologically active ingredients, then their perception and how they felt was literally wrong."

Her parents haven't invited me back for dinner in a while.
>>
My friend's dad has a geology degree from one of the top programs in the country, but he treats gluten like poison (non-celiac), treats GMOs like poison, uses folk medicine, and believes in all forms of astrology (vehemently) as well as the metaphysical properties of gemstones.
I wonder where it all went wrong sometimes. The extent of his interest and involvement in science is "I Fucking Love Science" on facebook.
>>
Whenever I encounter somebody with superstitious behavior I just smile and nod.
It's really the smart thing to do when you're dealing with an adult with a child sized imagination.
>>
>>8715184
It's a belief.
>>
File: 1480568315472.jpg (143KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1480568315472.jpg
143KB, 1680x1050px
I have a friend like this
His mother collects these magic rocks and places them around her house in particular locations
>this is good for the balance of spiritual energy
She also doesn't let anyone else touch her rocks
>your energies will make it impure!
She also has convinced enough people at her job to get them to bring her rocks which she purifies for them

My friend himself, along with his mother, believe in spirits and demons. He has believed every house he lived in to be haunted. His current house has a half finished basement in which his sister lived in, they became so convinced that it was haunted that she moved into the upstairs in a room the size of a prison cell.
When she started to become more rational and practical about the situation (her being cramped into a prison cell) she voiced her desire to return to the basement. My friend quickly and sharply said "we talked about this, no one lives in the basement anymore!"
When I lived in the basement of my old house, he tried to convince me that it was haunted, he would knock over chess pieces on my board when I was in the other room and say 'it just happened!' (he was about 22-23 during this time btw)
He would also claim he heard noises and all kinds of other things, for a while I humored him because I thought it was funny, but once I realized how serious he was I felt just felt sad. Realizing that he probably does similar things to his own family and have convinced them of this drivel makes me feel really sad, though they probably all do the same thing together.
A circlejerk to affirm their beliefs.
>>
File: 1471068614115.jpg (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471068614115.jpg
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>8715184
*tips fedora*

This is u rite now. Healing crystals exist it says so in The Bible.
>>
>crystalline solid
>lowest chemical potential
>gives off "energy"

ok
>>
this is why you're still a virgin op
>>
File: pepepatrol3.png (325KB, 594x294px) Image search: [Google]
pepepatrol3.png
325KB, 594x294px
>>8715905
>Her parents haven't invited me back for dinner in a while.

Just call immigration on them if they keep giving you a hard time.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.