[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /sci/, /ck/ here i tried asking over there but they don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 20170227_223205.jpg (2MB, 2280x3100px) Image search: [Google]
20170227_223205.jpg
2MB, 2280x3100px
hey /sci/, /ck/ here

i tried asking over there but they don't really know anything so i'll try here

i was given a couple iron pots and pans that need seasoning
i have a bottle of old rancid flax oil in the fridge from last time i seasoned a pan
can i use the rancid oil? or will it leave a bad aroma?
i feel like if it polymerizes properly it won't matter but i don't actually know anything

thanks!
>>
gentle self bump for science
>>
>>8714520
My thought is that any unsaturated fat you subject to high temperatures in the presence of oxygen will undergo oxidation and cause rancid off flavors and aromas. However, I googled seasoning and they recommend using unsaturated fats/oils, which during the seasoning process, will undergo severe oxidation anyway. I dont know wtf they mean by polymerize- theyre probably referring to the fats forming a sooty, carbon film on the skillet that somehow protects it.

Anyway, I guess if you use rancid oil with off flavors and off odours, there is a possibility it might get stuck in the pores of the skillet and you will probably detect them later on because,these are,often detected by a human nose at even the tiniest concentrations. Just use canola oil or something man.

Also, how do you know,you flaxseed oil is rancid. Off flavor and odors? Commercially, they add Vitamin E and other antioxidants to oils to retard the oxidation process. I think bottles are designed to now to also inhibit light
>>
>>8714520
/ck/ here

use Crisco my dude. Flax seed is not nearly as good imo, it always turned blotchy and I had to reseason. Used Crisco once and cooking on it is a dream
>>
>>8715075
the goal is to actually polymerize the oil to create a nonstick surface

a "sooty" film would be counter productive

i'm assuming the flax oil is rancid because it's expired by several years, and it has an intrinsically short shelf life
>>
>>8714520
It will create a bad taste in any food you cook within it after. Toss the rancid oil and incest in 10 dollars of decent oil which will last you years to come.
>>
>>8715403
>incest in 10 dollars
Not sure that's what you meant to say. Autocomplete much? Or your Freudian slip's showing...
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.