[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the truth about this shit. It's objectively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 42

File: The_Dress_(viral_phenomenon).png (39KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
The_Dress_(viral_phenomenon).png
39KB, 225x300px
So what's the truth about this shit.

It's objectively fucking white and gold, drop each pixels individually, yes the "white" parts are slightly blue. But still closer to white.

My thought is that it depends on the brightness and contrast of the monitor I guess.

Open it in gimp, darken the image and turn up the contrast and it becomes black and blue.
>>
What are you stupid? It's clearly fucking blue and black.
>>
>>8713808
Really weird, I first saw it as white and gold but staring at the darker parts of gold made it become black and blue
>>
>>8713808
white and gold
>>
>>8713808
It's blue and vomit brown
>>
File: dress.png (66KB, 397x299px) Image search: [Google]
dress.png
66KB, 397x299px
clearly its blue and black
>>
File: delet_this.jpg (66KB, 600x781px) Image search: [Google]
delet_this.jpg
66KB, 600x781px
>>8713808
Please, not this fucking thing again.
>>
>>8713848
REE THIS IS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED

>>8713846
Except those are the colours of darkest regions and those colours are just grey and dark gold/brown, which is consistent with it being white and gold.
>>
>>8713808
I always wondered why do you guys lie, what's the purpose ? just having someone answer "lol no it's black and blue" ? Do you seek attention that much?
>>
>>8713808
If you see white and gold you are absolutely 100% a subhuman retarded monkey. It is blue and black in real life and in the picture. I understand seeing red in the new cyan strawberry image, but this dress thing was so dumb. I cannot even force myself to see it as white and gold.
>>
>>8713808
Fuck off with this bait.
>>
>>8713902
I too see it is blue and black. I don't disbelieve the people who say that it's white and gold.
I really want to hear a genuine scientific explanation as to why this phenomenon ocurrs.
>>
>>8713808
I choose what I see, and I trust my eyes before all other eyes. I am NOT going to change who I am (how I perceive the world) merely because someone tells me what to see.
>>
It's obviously because almost everyone who watches the picture look at it on different screens on different devices with different color calibrations. If you play around with contrast/brightness and other options you can easily turn it white/blue.
>>
File: 1488395802061.png (3KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1488395802061.png
3KB, 1500x1500px
How the fuck can you think this is black
>>
File: 1488400029702.png (12KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1488400029702.png
12KB, 1500x1500px
>>8713981
How the fuck can you think this is white
>>
>>8713981
That is not at all the color
>>
>>8713992
there is no black color in that picture. the lowest value in that pic is 67/225 and its a tiny area of the pic.
>>
>>8713992
That is the colour of the middle of one of the dark stripes. Seen there, it's obviously dull yellow/gold.

>>8713989
That looks like white fabric in shadow far more than it looks 'blue'.
>>
I once read an article about that.
I believe it depended on the surrounding you imagine this dress to be in. That is, subconsciously.
People who see white and gold (which are the colours in the picture) see the photo taken under natural light, trusting the colours to be true.
People who see blue and black (which are the real colours of the dress) see the photo taken under artificial light and correct the image in their head.

I don't know what causes this. You might think that the knowledge of a different perspective might give you the ability to take it, like with optical illusions. However, I just can't see it in blue and black, even though I have looked at unambigious pictures of that dress
>>
>>8713808
Did you guys not get the memo that the dress is actually black and blue? If anything, scientists need to study what went wrong in the brains of people who answered "white and gold." Probably an early sign of Alzheimer's or something.
>>
>>8713902
Are you retarded? They posted the real pic of the dress and it was white and gold
>>
>>8714262
Actually that is the real pic, the people who posted it on Face Book came out later and said it was blue/black. I see it as white/gold too but it is, in fact, blue/black.
>>
File: Uh Huh You Know What It Is.jpg (158KB, 495x750px) Image search: [Google]
Uh Huh You Know What It Is.jpg
158KB, 495x750px
>>8713808
>>
>>8713808
I've only ever seen blue and black.
>>
>>8714374
why did you make it red and yellow?
>>
File: Flip-Flops-300x295.png (157KB, 300x295px) Image search: [Google]
Flip-Flops-300x295.png
157KB, 300x295px
>>8713808
I was under the "it's blue and black obviously anyone who says otherwise is a dumbass and liar" and that was later supported by the evidence of the actual dress. I never saw white and gold.

One day a few months ago I was scrolling through an image feed and saw a brightly white and gold pair of sandals. I clicked on it and when I looked back I saw pic related, a very clearly blue and black.

I don't know why this happens but it's definitely real.
>>
>>8714374
Thanks doc
>>
File: dress.webm (552KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
dress.webm
552KB, 480x480px
>>
>>8713981
Black under bright yellow lighting.
>>
File: bluebrown.png (9KB, 415x311px) Image search: [Google]
bluebrown.png
9KB, 415x311px
I get the gold/black thing. In reality it's like brown/gold but it's easy to see why people would interpret a shiny black

Dunno how the fuck people don't see blue though, it's clearly blue

Lightest and darkest parts in pic
>>
>>8714561
excellent
>>
>>8714374
Merci docteur
>>
>>8713808
I just got it to change colours, and return.
My method is to change my point of focus to the white/blue material if I want to view the dress as blue and black, and to look at the black/gold area around the neck if I want to see it as white and gold.
I think it has something to do with your eyes adjusting in an attempt to contrast the "subject" to it's surrounding.

Try consiously changing the point you are looking at on the dress, and hold your eyes there for a few minutes.
It can help to make the image smaller
as well I find.
>>
>>8714078

that's horseshit

i remember seeing this and showing my girlfriend instantly. showed it to her on my phone, didn't change brightness or anything. I saw it as black and blue, she saw it as white and gold. we walked the phone to her brother, who saw it as white and gold, but his wife saw it as black and blue.

some people are just born with a retard gene it seems
>>
This was an annoying trend, There was nothing worse than a smug Blue/blacker.
>>
>>8713808
Just a dumb picture with high exposition.
>>
this meme is old as fuck
>>
>>8714628
Sorry, I was easy to misunderstand.
What I meant is this: The people make subconcious assumptions about the lighting the photo was taken under.
It has nothing to do with screen brightness or lighting under which you are looking at the photo.
>>
>>8713989
because it is not being shined directly on by light making look white to the brain
>>
I don't understand, are people saying black and blue trolling?
>>
>>8715650
Close your eyes and face a lamp directly for a minute. Look at the dress again and it will be blue and black.
>>
>>8715654
Nope it's still white and gold
>>
>>8713808
Weird. I was skimming the catalogue and the thumbnail looked like it was white and gold. That's the first time I've ever been able to perceive it as white and gold, my first thought was that someone had edited it, but then I clicked the thread, read some replies scrolled up and it was blue and black again, and now I can't make myself perceive it as white and gold anymore. Bizarre.
>>
>>8715657
It's dependent on your surrounding light levels.
>>
>>8714262
Why is someone who obviously doesn't do research on a board such as /sci/?

Back to >>/b/ with you.
>>
the light part of the dress are blatantly blue

this part should not be up for debate whatsoever.

the only real question is whether the dark areas are black or a kind of dark goldish.
>>
>>8713979
No you can't.
Literally had a whole class look at it on the same screen and people still saw different colours.
>>
File: belief.jpg (54KB, 720x684px) Image search: [Google]
belief.jpg
54KB, 720x684px
>>8713808
Sorry all I ever see is white and gold... you others must have the gay gene.
>>
>>8713808
>Open it in gimp, darken the image and turn up the contrast and it becomes black and blue.

Look at the image and it looks blue and goldish brown or black.

Look at the dress in real life without weird lighting it looks blue and black, because it is blue and black.
>>
>>8713808
in your mind. if you get good you can switch between the colors.
>>
>>8715918

this
git good
>>
I always find it funny that the people who see it as black and blue are so smug, despite the colors in the image being demonstrably not the ones they are seeing.

It's like looking at this illusion and being proud that you see the two squares as different shades of grey.
>>
File: 1459306906059.jpg (36KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1459306906059.jpg
36KB, 500x501px
>>
File: WhiteOrBlue.png (906B, 374x245px) Image search: [Google]
WhiteOrBlue.png
906B, 374x245px
>>8716250
>despite the colors in the image being demonstrably not the ones they are seeing.
>>
>>8713808
Not bait, the first day a friend texted me this (was like 4 something in the morning), I opened my eyes from deep sleep and saw it white and gold and went to sleep again.

After a few hours, when I got up for work, I saw it and it was Blue and Black. Never seen it white and gold anymore. What could it be?
>>
>>8716283
You were tired so your vision wasn't at its best.

If you have poor eyesight you may see it as white.
>>
File: dressfags.jpg (551KB, 1227x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dressfags.jpg
551KB, 1227x1080px
It falls under blue on the colour spectrum but its closer to white overall
>>
It depends on what you see vs what you know to be true. Some retards will say it's white and gold because their retard brains can't recognize that the white balance or whatever in the image is fucked up. The dress is factually black and blue.
>>
>>8716307

So some 'retards' will see what is actually visibly there, while some sheep make up some shit that isn't there because they think they should
>>
this faggotry is all a basic misunderstanding. those who say "white and gold" are saying what color the dress would be in normal lighting, and those who say "black and blue" are saying the color they see in front of them. basically if you say "black and blue" you are either retarded or pedantic.
>>
>>8716311
What is actually there is a black and blue dress. The image is overexposed because of the light in front of the person that is messing with the cameras ability to capture the image, those whiting out everything else in the image. You can even see the fucking glare of the light. Some retards when asked the color of the dress will blindly say the colors they see rather than cognivitively recognizing the objective color of the dress as it actually exists.
>>
File: stardrem.png (1MB, 1065x599px) Image search: [Google]
stardrem.png
1MB, 1065x599px
>>8714561
cool
>>
>>8714374
someone explain this
>>
>>8716312
You've got it backwards.
>>
I always thought it was a disgusting brown gold/grey and light blue. Is my perception fucked?
>>
>>8713808
patricians with understanding of lighting dynamics and picture composition and color will be able to see it both ways.

>>8713919
>I really want to hear a genuine scientific explanation as to why this phenomenon ocurrs
It's not a phenomenon. It's a really REALLY shitty picture. It's so incredibly washed-out, that the blue and black resemble white and gold when cast in shade.

You ever notice how white can look blue-ish in the shade? There's your answer.

>>8713981
>>8713989
>what is lighting and how does it affect color?
retard
>>
>>8716311
>So some 'retards' will see what is actually visibly there,
Yeah they'll name Blue and Gold/Brown/"Dark Orange".

Then there are those who realize that the lighting changes things a bit and say Black and Blue.

Then there are full on retards who say white.
>>
>>8713808
Some people may have reduced photoreceptor sensitivity to blue light (macular degeneration). Or total color blindness.
>>
File: Dress2.png (166KB, 775x580px) Image search: [Google]
Dress2.png
166KB, 775x580px
>>8716435
>Or total color blindness.
>>
File: Dress3.png (352KB, 775x580px) Image search: [Google]
Dress3.png
352KB, 775x580px
>>8716435
>reduced photoreceptor sensitivity to blue light (macular degeneration
>>
File: Dress4.png (363KB, 775x580px) Image search: [Google]
Dress4.png
363KB, 775x580px
>blue blindness
>>
It's obviously black and gold.
Master race.
>>
>>8716335
I'm no patrician but I can see it as both
>>
>>8713808
Differences in thalamic or cortical processing of color.
>>
>>8713845
Objectively this
>>
>>8713817

Yeah you can trick your mind and make it flip colors by thinking about it
>>
>>8713808
Come on people it isn't that hard:
Look at white upper right corner, now look at the dress --> White and Gold

Look at the gold part, blink and look again --> Black and blue
>>
Depends on light sensitivity. People who are more exposed to light / spend more time outdoors are more likely to see white and gold
>>
No matter how hard I try I can't see it as anything other that white/very light blue and gold, I've have flawless vision too even for colour tests so fuck off retards trying to claim its anything to do with eyesight
>>
Y'all fuckers forget the basic and rudimentary law that is Schnell's
>>
>>
>>8713808
You can trick yourself into thinking that the blue is a shadowed white, and that the black is gold based on the way the light plays off the collar and belt region.
>>
>take shitty photograph in shitty lighting
>people do something other than criticize the photographer
kys

all of you

kys
>>
just in case you wanted to know why people see white and gold, is has to do with the deterioration of the cones in your eyes.
>>
>>8717364
that's why if you see white and gold, changing the brightness of your screen down to dim allow you to see the blue and black because you're relying more on your cones, rather than your rods
>>
>>8713853
Seeing blue has grey... Check yourself
>>
>>8713808
>it's objectively fucking white
>drop each pixels individually
>yes, the "white" parts are blue
>>
High Testosterone - Black/Blue
Low Testosterone - White/Gold

This is a really good test to detect beta manlets
>>
File: 1488333821273.png (727KB, 782x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488333821273.png
727KB, 782x720px
>>8713808
>look at the picture
>It's white and gold
>scroll down
>scroll back up
>it's blue and black now
>>
>>8714262
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress
>>
>>8717548
>Low Testosterone - White/Gold
is this true? fugg ;=:
>>
>>8717548
How can I have low testosterone if I have a 10 inch dick?
>>
>>8717548
the best way to test if you are a low test beta is to twist your nipples

high test men don't have much estrogen, so their nipples aren't sensitive.
>>
File: 635609659190700970-Ellen-dress.jpg (66KB, 534x712px) Image search: [Google]
635609659190700970-Ellen-dress.jpg
66KB, 534x712px
>>8713808
Anyone attempting to highlight the RGB values of the colors are fucking up. If you put my white skinned self in a low lit room, took a picture without the flash, and proceeded to take the RGB values of my face, then you'd find out that I'm actually an African American.

Or am I? RGB or any data values that measure the colors present in the image factor the lighting into the color itself, so you can get totally different colors under different lighting scenarios.

In the image, you can see that the dress is blocking off most of the ambient lighting present in the room for the camera. If she were to use an SLR camera with a slow shutter speed and large aperature, then she would've done a better job at capturing the true colors of the dress. Or maybe if she wasn't a fat dumbass and knew that she'd need to use the flash on her phone.

Little story about when this shit was hot off the press:

My ex-girlfriend, who was the salutatorian for my highschool, argued with me that the dress was obviously gold and white. I thought she knew a little bit about how lighting worked, since you learned this stuff in 6th grade and again in 9th. She called me a dumbass, brought my 2.98 HS GPA into it, called me a brainlet, blablabla.

Then the lady came on the Ellen Degeneres show after the drama to confirm the color of it; pic related. I sent my ex this pic with no words. She never talked to me about it ever again, but I knew she loathed me after that.

So how did this all play out? Well, she now owns her own physical therapy practice and makes over $500,000 per year. As for me, I dropped out of college after I couldn't get past trigonometry.
>>
>>8713808
Objectively, the camera used was shit.
>>
>>8719466
What level of ironic sarcasm and slight bait is this?
>>
>>8719466
I think that colorimetric and other discussions about light or cameras are not important here.
The most important thing is how bad that lady judges volumes and complacency properties of fabrics.
She should not be using that dress
>>
>>8713808
The actual dress is black and blue in real life, they got to the bottom of it. If you think it's white and gold it's because your brain doesn't process lighting as it should, you're defective.
>>
I can see the white has a blue tint to it but I don't think ill ever be able to see it as the strong black and blue, eyes are completely fucked.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBI9gX9E1Ps

>>8719893
this
>>
File: 1231414.png (98KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
1231414.png
98KB, 225x300px
I can bite the black and glod part sure but there is on simple fucking fact in this picture:

Color at 1 is objectively white
Therefore your brain cannot experience the color at 2 as white in contrast

Stop your trolling.
The blue part cannot be experienced any other way than blue unless you have some sort of eye or brain problem
>>
File: ShallowAndPedantic.png (208KB, 807x935px) Image search: [Google]
ShallowAndPedantic.png
208KB, 807x935px
Step aside brainlets, I can properly explain this phenomenon, I believe it's related to sexual attraction.

If the observer finds has an attraction to the chest of the garment where the dress is clearly white/gold. However, if they find the pelvis area more attractive then they will focus on the bottom of the dress where it looks blue/black.

t. women's studies major
>>
File: mpv-shot0025.jpg (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0025.jpg
214KB, 1920x1080px
>>8720850
>t. women's studies major
>>
>>8713902
>I cannot even force myself to see it as white and gold
>he can't change colors on the dress at will
You're stupid brainlet here.
>>
>>8716299
different levels of lighting and exposure u spaz.
>>
>>8713808
Subjectively, it's black and blue. The background is bright, meaning that the dress is probably well lit as well
>>
File: cores_cones_colors.jpg (46KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
cores_cones_colors.jpg
46KB, 600x422px
Here is why you are all fucked up. Humans cant see color, all that we see is a false color composite. You have firmware that computes the difference between the intensity of green vision and red vision and makes assumptions based on those differences. Shit like brown, pink and white do not actually exist.

Not all people have the same response curve, most 'color blind' people simply have curves that are too far out of norm, usually curves that more approximately overlap.

There are sun glasses that have band gap filters allowing for color blind people to see in color by narrowing the overlap between green and red vision.
>>
File: spectral-response-ccd.jpg (158KB, 720x460px) Image search: [Google]
spectral-response-ccd.jpg
158KB, 720x460px
For contrast here is what a naked ccd can see and what a ccd with filters can see. Normally there are additional filters on the infra red section.

Also on >>8722053 not the very limited overlap with blue, this makes us unable to do similar comparative analysis on different shades of blue
>>
http://www.livescience.com/17948-red-green-blue-yellow-stunning-colors.html

Try to imagine reddish green — not the dull brown you get when you mix the two pigments together, but rather a color that is somewhat like red and somewhat like green. Or, instead, try to picture yellowish blue — not green, but a hue similar to both yellow and blue.

Is your mind drawing a blank? That's because, even though those colors exist, you've probably never seen them. Red-green and yellow-blue are the so-called "forbidden colors." Composed of pairs of hues whose light frequencies automatically cancel each other out in the human eye, they're supposed to be impossible to see simultaneously.

The limitation results from the way we perceive color in the first place. Cells in the retina called "opponent neurons" fire when stimulated by incoming red light, and this flurry of activity tells the brain we're looking at something red. Those same opponent neurons are inhibited by green light, and the absence of activity tells the brain we're seeing green. Similarly, yellow light excites another set of opponent neurons, but blue light damps them. While most colors induce a mixture of effects in both sets of neurons, which our brains can decode to identify the component parts, red light exactly cancels the effect of green light (and yellow exactly cancels blue), so we can never perceive those colors coming from the same place.

Almost never, that is. Scientists are finding out that these colors can be seen you just need to know how to look for them.

Colors without a name

The color revolution started in 1983, when a startling paper by Hewitt Crane, a leading visual scientist, and his colleague Thomas Piantanida appeared in the journal Science. Titled "On Seeing Reddish Green and Yellowish Blue," it argued that forbidden colors can be perceived. The researchers had created images in which red and green stripes (and, in separate images, blue and yellow stripes) ran adjacent to each other...
>>
File: truth.jpg (97KB, 379x1073px) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
97KB, 379x1073px
>>8714644
>white people inverting colors to hide the fact this white and gold dress is advertised by African Americans
>>
Cross your eyes such that the two white crosses merge into one and keep them like that.

At first you may see blue or yellow dominate, then alternate in a receding fashion. Then some of you eventually you will perceive a new impossible blueish yellow color.
>>
>>8713808
When I first saw this image, I claimed it was white and gold. The very next day I started to perceive it as blue, and I have seen it as white/gold since.
>>
File: 1467595813358.jpg (169KB, 854x479px) Image search: [Google]
1467595813358.jpg
169KB, 854x479px
>>8713808
>used to see it as dark blue and black
>mfw now see it as a light blue and a faded black
My vision is turning to shit, /sci/.
>>
>>8722090
>impossible blueish yellow color
Green?
>>
>>8722579
Nope its not green, more like orange, brown or gray but distinct from them.

Try it.
>>
File: BlueBrown.jpg (302KB, 1913x1079px) Image search: [Google]
BlueBrown.jpg
302KB, 1913x1079px
>>8713808
>>
I don't fucking understand why someone thinks it looks white and gold. Am I abnormal because I see it as black/gold and blue?
>>
>>8713808
>My thought is that it depends on the brightness and contrast of the monitor I guess.
No. Didn't you get some friends to look at it at whatever you viewed it on?
It definitely is cognitive, I didn't want to believe it either.
>>
>>8713808
I'm finally seeing the blue and black, but I don't want to lose the ability to see it as white and gold
that's pretty neat being able to switch back and forth
>>
>>8713808
it's a shit photograph, the colors are way off and whatever your eyes first see is what you keep seeing.

The dress itself is literally black and blue. Unless you're claiming the dress USED to be white and gold but it's changed and this pic is residue, in which case >>>/x/
>>
It's now black and blue for me if I squint. What.
>>
>>8713919
Shitty photography, that's the "phenomenon".

The colors are really off due to the lighting, and combined with how the brain "reads" color it creates an optical illusion. There's nothing even remotely interesting about it except that it became a giant normie meme.

>I don't disbelieve the people who say that it's white and gold
Well the fabric is quite literally black and blue. Or do you mean you don't disbelieve that they see that?
>>
>>8718833
Yeah, it also means you're a homosexual and that I slept with your mother.
>>
>be semi-brainlet
>know more science than average but still ignorant of many things
>always intimidated in many threads on /sci/, so many people seem so smart and I wonder if I just need to study more or if I'm retarded
>open this thread for some reason
>"oh em gee i now see black and blue so trippy haha"
>"retards it's your phone contrast clearly white and brown"
>"okay guys what magic science effect is happening? is it genetic lol"
>"why would someone see something different than me dude what's wrong with your eyes"

Fuck. Do you guys see a photo of someone at night with red eyes and go argue on facebook about it? Do you look at your hand at night and wonder why your skin is darker?

I really shouldn't have needed this in hindsight, but thankyou for helping me realize that you're all at least more retarded than me.
>>
>>8722837
d-dad? get off my board REEEEE
>>
File: dress_objectively.png (453KB, 850x600px) Image search: [Google]
dress_objectively.png
453KB, 850x600px
>>8722811
Saw it as white and gold yesterday, and yeah, it just changed for me too, almost like I conked my head on something.

Thank god for the objectiveness of photoshop - oh, wait.
>>
File: color_consistency.webm (58KB, 804x418px) Image search: [Google]
color_consistency.webm
58KB, 804x418px
>>
>>8722920
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AskAQwOBvhc

>>8722901
Maybe the last time you saw it was daytime and now it's night?
>>
File: dank.jpg (9KB, 262x263px) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
9KB, 262x263px
>>8713846
DELET THIS
>>
>>8714644
That dress is hideous
>>
blue and brown master race reporting in
>>
>>8713919
Adding to what others have said, blues are the colors our eyes have the hardest time with. The grand majority of color receptors in your eye are keyed for reds, accounting for nearly 70% of their number alone. Greens come next, at around 30%. Unfortunately this leaves blue with 2-4% of the total at most, and worse, these blue receivers populate an area outside the highest regions of focus.

The reason we still perceive blue in a roughly equal fashion is that the brain compensates during processing. As you can tell by the controversy, this compensation is not perfect.
>>
What the fuck is everyone talking about? It's not white and gold or black and blue, it's blue and gold.
>>
>>8713808

I can "see" it both ways. It's a compelling item.

But to this day, any time I open it up on a display somewhere, happen to see it, where-ever it is, I first-of-all, above all else, see black-and-blue. It's only after the /application of some conscious thought/ that I can get to white-gold, and not before.
>>
>>8722901
AHA, YOU SEE? IT'S FUCKING BLUE AND GOLD, MY VISION IS THE BEST EVERYONE ELSE GET FUCKED.
>>
>>8722933
>Maybe the last time you saw it was daytime and now it's night?
I was thinking this was the case... But fuck - it's still night, and now that this thread got bumped to my view again - it's fucking white and gold again.

MAKE IT STAHP!
>>
>>8714504
do you mean pink and green?
>>
>>8713808
squinting lets me change it at will

holy fuck i have the power. it goes black/blue when i squint and focus, then i blink and its white/gold
>>
File: blueblack.png (47KB, 188x300px) Image search: [Google]
blueblack.png
47KB, 188x300px
>>8713808
It is blue and black.

>>8713981
black silk + weird light angle = shiny black aka gold. Only brainlets think its actually golden.
>>
>>8723538
I realize the actual dress is objectively blue and black, not denying that.

...But the color consistency illusion caused by the shit photo and lighting is causing me to *perceive* it as either blue and black or white and gold , depending on the color or lighting I was last exposed to - even when set side by side in your image like that.

I think the color ramp (>>8722901) yonder gives some objective hint as to why, beyond the obvious flawed gray matter processing.
>>
>>8723600
No it doesn't
It cannot, with pure white in the background
Your brain cannot be tricked into thinking blue is somehow white while there is white in the background
Every brainlet who says this is white and gold is trying to troll here
>>
>>8713808
The dress is objectively blue and black.
https://twitter.com/romanoriginals/status/571224722438004736
This was confirmed by roman originals who make the dress.
The white balance of the photo that may appear white and gold is way off, and the dressis in the presence of a brighter yellowish light.
>>
>>8723635
I beg to differ, and that background is far from "pure white".

Also see das video: >>8722933

Even just looking at the photoshop color ramp I already linked ya back to, that blue is damn close to white, and that black is heavy into the gold spectrum in that photo.
>>
>>8723653
I'm still trying to figure out what causes it to switch for me.

I've tried turning on more lights, turning off more lights, staring into lights, closing my eyes, rubbing my eyes, and staring at a better picture of the dress where it's clearly black and blue... But it's still white and gold for me, even though it was blue and black a few hours earlier. Fuck.
>>
>>8723538
What did you mean by this image? Putting the gold next to actual black just shows how clearly it isn't black
>>
>>8724213
hmmm this really activates my almonds.
>>
>>8723662
I think it's between assuming the dress is in light or shadow.

BTW, I only see light blue and brown. I'm incapable of seeing either set of colours. The benefits of artistic autism.
>>
>>8724367
Yeah, but it's my perceptual filter that keeps causing it to flip colors every few hours.

Now that the sun's up, I'm seeing it as blue and black again, yay.

Before the best I was able to get was a near-white blue and gold.

Maybe I'm autistic in shifts depending on the time of day.
>>
Here
https://youtu.be/AskAQwOBvhc
>>
>>8724538
Yeah, I know it's actually black and blue, and I know mechanism is a combination of shit photo and mind playing tricks. I even linked that video.

But that video suggests it should simply be different for different people - for me, and at least one other guy here, it's changing by the goddam time of day. I mean I tried playing with the light in the room and such to force a flip, but it wasn't happening. Maybe the artificial light wasn't cutting it and the sunlight is.

Thread will probably be dead by the time I can verify that for certain.
>>
It's a really fucking overexposed picture of a black and blue dress. Who gives a shit?
>>
File: tQTubR5.png (986KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
tQTubR5.png
986KB, 1600x900px
>>8713846
I looked at OP's picture from catalog and it was white and gold.
Then I look at OP's picture again inside the post and it was white and gold
Then I looked at your picture and it was black and blue.
Then I scrolled back up to OP's picture and it changed to black and blue inside the post and in catalog
>>
File: shawn-king.jpg (55KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
shawn-king.jpg
55KB, 600x400px
>The Dress
>2015 optical illusion

Here's a more recent one: Take a look at pic related...what color is he?

Answer: he's a strong, proud, black man. But some *swear* he's white!

Crazy! Discuss with your friends.
>>
>>8714644
>the top part of the dress to the left is mesh while the top part of the dress to the right is clearly solid
Not the same dress dude
>>
I've been looking at this shitty dress picture and I still have never been able to see it as gold and white. Is there a trick to doing it or something?
>>
why are we bringing a dead meme back?
>>
>>8713808
>So what's the truth about this shit.
Well, If we loo-
>It's objectively fucking white and gold

morons like you shouldn't be allowed to make threads
>>
>>8725108
At least you're a complete idiot. I hate when people half-ass things.
>>
>>8725771
I don't know, maybe if your pupils are more dilated? I could never see it black and blue but then i squinted and it sort of worked.
>>
>>8725831
I posted the image in another thread to illustrate the subjectivity of colour perception.

I am a terrible person.
>>
im literally fucking COLORBLIND and it's obviously blue and black.
>>
>>8714561
therefore the dress is infact blue and black it can simply be forced to look white and gold under very contrived lighting.

under nearly all normal lighting circumstnces the dress is blue and black
>>
File: 1481271391490.jpg (103KB, 531x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1481271391490.jpg
103KB, 531x1200px
>mfw nobody has posted this picture yet

You guys are fucking retarded.
>>
Real useful and intelligent thread faggots
>>
>>8716250
Yes, exactly, from that image I am able to understand that the two tiles are the same color, and that the fact that they appear the same is due to the effects of lighting, in this case a shadow, and in the case of the dress it's overexposure.

We aren't arguing what it looks like.
We are arguing what it is.
>>
File: At_Last_I_Truly_See.png (93KB, 600x507px) Image search: [Google]
At_Last_I_Truly_See.png
93KB, 600x507px
>>8726259
This is an amazing picture... thank you!!!
>>
"The first large-scale scientific study on the dress was published in Current Biology three months after the image went viral. The study, which involved 1,400 respondents, found that 57% saw the dress as blue and black; 30% saw it as white and gold; 10% saw it as blue and brown; and 10% could switch between any of the colour combinations."

I saw only one person seeing it as blue and brown. As do I.

Faggots. Also, >>8726259 cheers.
>>
!!!! ATTENTION ALL NIGGERS !!!!

I found a way for us so-called brainlets who see it white and gold, TO ACTUALLY EXPERIENCE IT BLACK AND BLUE.

Just look at it through your eyelids barely closed/squinted, and the brown will turn dark black, and the light blue a stronger blue.
It returns back to normal though.
>>
File: kitty_mind_fuck_ns.webm (2MB, 674x380px) Image search: [Google]
kitty_mind_fuck_ns.webm
2MB, 674x380px
>>8726261
Meh, figuring the neurological reasons for optical illusions is always fun. Also has some applications for signaling, camouflage, displays, and the like.
>>
>>8726259

Even under the intense shadow it still looks mostly white and gold

I will never understand how people can see it as blue/black. I suppose, if I try really hard, and squint, I could see MAYBE perceiving the white as blue. But there is no fucking way that gold could be seen as black.
>>
>>8726724
shut up you dumb motherfucker
>>
>>8726724
>But there is no fucking way that gold could be seen as black.
Well, the material the light is reflecting off of is indeed black, so if the brain does its job compensating for the lighting, surely it could be.

Granted, I'm among those where this function seems dependant on the time of day. Stupid brain is accounting for the light in the room rather than the light in the image.
>>
>>8726724
>But there is no fucking way that gold could be seen as black.
Try covering up the lit part of the picture. It's black.
>>
>>8726700
God, that's cute.
>>
>>8726700
>figuring the neurological reasons for optical illusions is always fun
In this particular case, the psychological phenomenon that causes people to so adamantly refuse to accept that other people see things differently than they do is considerably more interesting.

It also has considerably more dire consequences.
>>
>>8726259
>it takes 1000000 candela to make it look white and gold
>>
>>8726858
That image is 7,000cd at best.

At a million yer basically staring into a weak light bulb, so I suppose that'd work too, save that the gold would be gone.
>>
>>8726311
I see it as blue and brown too, because those are the actual colors in the photo.
>>
The actual dress is blue and black, The colours you see depend on whether your brain thinks the light in the background is natural i.e. Sunlight or unnatural like a lamp
>>
File: meme-dress.png (106KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
meme-dress.png
106KB, 450x300px
>>8713808
The black - gold part is yellowish
The white- blue part is blueish
>>
>>8726936
So basically the guys who see it as white and gold probably get out more. Fucking normies, ree.
>>
File: dress.png (123KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
dress.png
123KB, 500x356px
>>8713808
Catalogue says it's black and blue.
It's a mere lightning effect.
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.