[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Olber's Paradox: if the universe is infinitely large and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

Olber's Paradox: if the universe is infinitely large and has existed for an infinite period of time, then everywhere you look in the night sky should end in a star.
>look in sky
>there's dark spots
>"well I guess the universe hasn't existed forever, then"

>look again with a really long exposure time
>the dark spots are no longer dark

Why are we sure the universe hasn't existed indefinitely again?
>>
the universe isn't infinitely large nor infinitely old
>>
>>8713575
Do you have any evidence that supports that assertion?

I might claim that the Ultra Deep Field photo supports the hypothesis that the universe is infinitely old and therefore infinitely large, because if you wait long enough you'll expose an image of something very far away. If you wait longer you'll see something even farther away.
>>
>>8713589
I do. You'll surely arrive at the trivial evidence by thinking it about yourself. Instead of asking stupid questions.
>>
>>8713589
If you accept the Big Bang model then surely you accept >>8713575 ?
>>
>>8713572

Here's a nice paper about different cosmological horizons, which goes significantly further than a lot of standard explanations:

https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310808
>>
the universe is both infinitely old, it just recycles itself in a big crunch
>>
>>8713649
The universe reversing course seems implausible. More likely it expands until it explodes again, everywhere at once.
>>
File: 1488325291290.jpg (287KB, 748x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1488325291290.jpg
287KB, 748x1200px
>>8713572
>brainlet attempts though experiment
>>
>>8713589
False.

If you were to take an "ultra deep field" shot of a dark spot in Hubble's UDF you would maybe see a few more super redshifted old galaxies and some of the first stars, but other than that you would just be looking at the CMBR, which is in fact what proves that the universe isn't infinitely old or large.
>>
>>8713572
Google WMAP images.
Go from there
>>
>>8713788
Actually let me modify that last sentence - the CMBR doesn't prove the universe isn't infinitely large, only that it isn't infinitely old. There could be an infinite amount of space and galaxies that you would see with a powerful telescope if it weren't for the fact that the limiting factor in how far you can see is the age of the universe.

And there are galaxies that exist outside our field of view, but we'll never get the chance to see them because they're further away than the universe is old.
>>
the universe..heh..what a concept
>>
File: tumblr_lwkn32ZtAM1qzb8j3.gif (849KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lwkn32ZtAM1qzb8j3.gif
849KB, 200x200px
>>8713841
>>
>>8713747
>actually playing the Danish
What's it like being <2000?
>>
>>8713867
Feels pretty bad desu.
>>
File: surface_area_of_a_sphere.png (5KB, 383x107px) Image search: [Google]
surface_area_of_a_sphere.png
5KB, 383x107px
I don't see how this is a paradox. Photons are emitted from the surface of a star as a spherical emission field and that emission field diminishes by the inverse square law.

At the surface of the star the photons are densely packed as they are emitted but the farther away I am from the star the less dense that spherical emission field will be. Every time I double the radius of a sphere I divide the field density by 4.
>>
Come on, this is intro level astrophysics guys.... this board is sad.

The answer is that the universe is expanding, and light from very far away stars becomes dimmer and dimmer, and some will never reach us at all.
>>
>>8714204
This proves nothing about the age or size of the universe though. You have to take that extra step and observe that all distant galaxies are accelerating away from us. Then if you trace all the trajectories backwards through time you show that everything was once at a single point in space, and this is what we call the beginning of the universe.
>>
>>8714218
I never said it did. I'm just saying the reason the night sky isn't full of starlight is because of the cosmic horizon and redshifting of light that is further away.
>>
>>8713572

The proper conclusion to draw is that there are uncountable many stars, but not an infinite number of stars.

The other conclusion to draw is that if the universe's expansion is accelerating, and it is, it is not infinite.

The other conclusion to draw is that if there were infinite time, we would be in heat death right now, and we're not.
>>
>>8714224
>I'm just saying the reason the night sky isn't full of starlight is because of the cosmic horizon
There is no obvious observable evidence for this. It takes some additional assumptions and deductions to be able to state a cosmic horizon exists.

>and redshifting of light that is further away.
That was already stated in the OP:
>look again with a really long exposure time
>the dark spots are no longer dark

Don't call the board sad when you have no reading comprehension.
>>
>>8714189
Photons don't exist. Light doesn't travel at a speed. Light has a rate of induction as it is a coaxial longitudinal circuit.
>>
File: i get it.png (209KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
i get it.png
209KB, 510x346px
>>8714251
>>
>>8714250
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cosmological_horizons#Hubble_horizon
>>
>>8714370
Yet again you fail to show any reading comprehension.
>It takes some additional assumptions and deductions to be able to state a cosmic horizon exists.
Like for example the speed of light being a constant or the outward expansion of the universe.

Also, the first paragraph of that link shows that the Hubble horizon has no relation to the discussion in this thread:
>Note that this does not mean the particle is unobservable, the light from the past is reaching and will continue to reach the observer for a while.
If the light is still able to reach us, how does this apply to Olber's paradox at all?
>>
>>8714448
Now you're just flat out denying science. The universe is expanding. That is observable. The speed of light is constant.

Once objects go beyond the hubble horizon their light can't reach us.
>>
>>8714244
as if it can't be infinite AND expand
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.