[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /sci/borgs, What would you consider to be the opposite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: be patient.jpg (26KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
be patient.jpg
26KB, 720x720px
Hello /sci/borgs,

What would you consider to be the opposite of a selfie, or an anti-selfie? My thinking is along the lines of:

>a selfie is a picture of yourself taken by yourself
>the opposite would therefore be
>not a picture
>of not yourself
>not taken by yourself

What would fit these criteria? I was thinking that your ordinary meme might the solution but it seems a bit too silly to be fully correct. Please discuss.
>>
>>8713543
An anti-thing is not an opposite of a thing in all respects. If this were true, an antiproton would be:
>not a particle
>negatively charged
>with no mass
>>
>>8713547
You are correct. I'm a math person so I was thinking ~(selfie) = negation of each defining characteristic of selfie. What do you think an anti-selfie would entail then?
>>
>>8713543
>not a picture
>of not yourself
>not taken by yourself

You're describing an inverse-selfie, not an anti-selfie. And you can, in fact, go deeper.

Here are all the properties of a selfie:
-a photograph
-of a person (the person who took the photograph)

Therefore an inverse selfie has to be:
-not a photograph
-perhaps not even an image
-cannot depict a person, certainly not the person who creates the inverse-selfie

The best candidate for an inverse selfie that I can think of is the imprint of a plant in vinyl, which is then played on a record player. Record the waveform of the noise. There's your inverse selfie.
>>
>>8713601
A selfie is:
- something
therefore an inverse-selfie can only be nothing.
>>
File: BrainElectrified.jpg (21KB, 349x348px) Image search: [Google]
BrainElectrified.jpg
21KB, 349x348px
>>8713614
>>
>>8713564
I think there are a few ways of answering that question, but if we try to boil down the essence of a selfie in terms of its social function, I think they key elements are:
>Draws attention to self
>Exists to convey some positive social message to peers
>is staged/reinforces a persona

Something the opposite of that would be:
>draws attention to something outside the self
>No social function, rather the purpose is informational
>Candid, honest

So maybe a nature photograph you would take to look at later, privately?
>>
>>8713564
you should know that only certain instances are negated, such as "for every/there exists" and the object in question.

Else the negation of the statement "All grass is green" would be "Not all things that aren't grass aren't green", when the negation should clearly be "Not all grass is green"
>>
Selfie: picture AND of yourself AND taken by yourself
NOTselfie: NOTpicture OR NOTof yourself OR NOTtaken by yourself
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.