[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright guys, the Cosmological Constant. It's spooky. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: lambda.jpg (10KB, 362x343px) Image search: [Google]
lambda.jpg
10KB, 362x343px
Alright guys, the Cosmological Constant. It's spooky. How can it be such an extraordinarily precise value and how can it be that value and only that value would give rise to the universe we live in.
>>
>>8712908

Because if it wasn't that value or close to it our universe wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be here to think about how spooky it was.

Thinking that this is anything special is the same reasoning that goes into a lottery winner's idea that they were given a miracle from god, when in reality it was inevitable that there had to be a winner.

Our case is slightly different because we don't know if the multiverse is a thing, but it's a moot point because if it isn't and the cosmological constant wasn't close to what it is then again, we wouldn't be here. We have a strong selection bias.
>>
>>8712913
The anthropic principle isn't an explanation, it just says that the universe must function in a way that allows life, obviously, since we're here. It's more like winning the lottery twice in a row then saying "Well it's obvious it had to happen because in any reality where I have more than 100 million dollars I won the lottery twice". In hindsight, yes, it doesn't address the absurd improbability of it actually happening though. It's just a tautology to make us feel slightly better about the spookiness.
>>
>>8712908
It's trivial
>>
>>8712946
Can you please explain how? I'm genuinely interested
>>
>How can it be such an extraordinarily precise value

Precision is a property of the instrument that measures a value
>>
>>8712908
If it were different then there would be a different kind of universe, duh. You think of yourself as too important in the grand scale of things, the universe didn't pop into existence the way it is just to enable you to shitpost on taiwanese pottery painting forums.
>>
>>8712913
Is it possible that the universe isn't infinite and that we humans market it as such to apply the infinite monkey theorum to everything?
>>
>>8712908
>How can it be such an extraordinarily precise value
Inflation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology)
>>
>>8712924
Sure, but the actual explanation involves finishing science to understand how and why everything is the way it is. It's a bit of a stretch goal we'll say.
>>
If you want an explanation string theory has some for you, if you want a verifiable explanation then idk man
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.