[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I be worried if I don't find anything particularly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1467582656702.jpg (54KB, 632x421px) Image search: [Google]
1467582656702.jpg
54KB, 632x421px
Should I be worried if I don't find anything particularly remarkable about theorems or proofs that my textbooks tell me are "beautiful"?

e.g. Hardy, in A Mathematician's Apology, says "It will be clear by now that, if we are to have any chance of making progress, I must produce example of ‘real’ mathematical theorems, theorems which every mathematician will admit to be first-rate"
These two theorems and their proofs are the infinitude of the primes and the irrationality of the square root of 2. All I can think is... "okay... I guess that's kinda cool?" I cannot conjure up the genuine feelings that these really are interesting results, let alone "beautiful" or "first-rate."
>>
>>8711947
No, people have different tastes. I am only truly interested in theorems with geometric significance.
>>
>>8711947
My strong impression is that you havent found the right theorem yet. But keep looking ;D
>>
>>8711947

I never found any straight up proofs to be "beautiful"

Really I've never had much fun with math without using a computer. Using a computer you can always pull a fractal out of your ass with pretty much everything you can think of.

> Iterated function systems
> bitwise fractals
> julia sets
> attractors
> systems involving addition and prime factorization
> space filling curves
> cellular automata
> newton fractals
> LFSRs
>>
>>8711947
there's a reason why abstract math is not a popular pursuit
>>
>>8711947
t. not INTP
you will never be a true mathematician
>>
>>8712122
What do you use to plot them?
>>
>>8712122
Creating and looking at pretty pictures isn't math.
>>
>>8712177

depends

SDL gives you an easy window with a drawpixel(r,g,b,x,y) command

other times I use OpenGL

>>8712182

-t. chain rule master
>>
>>8711947
Having the creativity to know how to apply them is really all you should care about.
>>
>>8711947
Probably better to move on to a different field then, OP.
>>
>>8712197
Damn, that's cool. I'm taking Geometry this semester, what would you recommend? (projective geometry, euclidean geometry, affine spaces,... stuff)
>>
>>8712231

I've never taken geometry at that level
>>
>>8712240
wow
>>
>>8712240
Oh, well my professor recommended POV-ray if we want to play around with pictures but it's quite limited. Might try and code something myself
>>
Why does he do that? He is going to stain the window
>>
>>8713558
DUDE LOOK AT HOW SMART I AM LMAO
>>
Why is he writing on the windows. Is he on that spectrum?
>>
>>8715329
Ye

Hating him is a popular meme old man
>>
>>8711947
What is he up to nowadays? Did he discover anything good?
>>
>>8715329
>Is he on that spectrum?
What do you think?
>>
He's clearly a fucking normalfag

Fuck off with your meme illness
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.