[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question: Superconductors, how the fuck do they work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: superconductor.jpg (58KB, 1000x746px) Image search: [Google]
superconductor.jpg
58KB, 1000x746px
Serious question: Superconductors, how the fuck do they work? How can 0 resistance be achieved?
>>
>>8710849
Low temperature superconductors:
Electron-Electron pairs known as cooper pairs follow boson rules, which means they can all pile into the conduction band and move at basically the same speed without hitting eachother.

High temperature superconductors:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows
>>
>>8710849
I don't wanna talk to a scientist
>>
>>8710855
>which means they can all pile into the conduction band and move at basically the same speed
I'm no physicist, will the cooper pairs not collide with nuclei, slowing them down? Or is there something special about bosons I'm missing
>>
>>8710889
im not really up to speed on superconductors. BCS theory is a lot more complicated though, and there's probably alot of detail i missed out, but that's the basics
>>
>>8710908
Okay, thanks anyway
>>
>>8710849
>>8710889

In solid state physics most particles are described as quasiparticles including their interactions. e.g. the interaction between electrons (which are actually also quasiparicles here) and nuclei can be described as creation or anihilation of a phonon (a lattice oscillation quasiparticle). This electron-phonon interaction is also the reason for the bound state and condensation to a cooper pair. The point is that the cooper pair state only works, if all the cooper pairs have the same momentum. that means if you have scattering of an electron that was in a cooper pair it will leave the cooper pair state, and so must the second electron. This costs energy, namely two times the energy between the cooper pair state and the single electron state (because you have 2 electrons leaving the CP). If you keep your temperature low enough, you will not have phonons with enough energy to interact with the cooper pairs.

t. guy who has solid state physics 2 exam in two weeks
>>
>>8710969
thx
and good luck, man
>>
>>8710989
thank you
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.