[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Koko the Gorrila ever really capable of human communication

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0525.jpg (67KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0525.jpg
67KB, 640x360px
Was Koko the Gorrila ever really capable of human communication and human-like intelligence? Was her owner/companion or whatever just reading too much into the signs?
>>
>>8709529
Sorry, meant to use present tense. Koko is still alive and is 45 years old.
>>
>>8709534
I don't really know too much about gorillas but Koko seems smarter than the average nigger desu senpai.
>>
>>8709529
no, it's just a matter of another brain dead white whore claiming that her pet ape is special.
>>
>>8709529
Probably not.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/08/koko_kanzi_and_ape_language_research_criticism_of_working_conditions_and.html
>>
>>8709586
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOVS9zotSqM
how do you explain this video then?
>>
>>8709604
this writer is a shit
http://www.slate.com/authors.jane_hu_1.html
>>
I seem to recall Noam Chomsky being very critical of these "communicating apes" results. I also remember some lab naming their ape "Noam Chimpsky" in response.
>>
>>8709529
it has a higher IQ than most african countries.

it never asked a question to gain knowledge but then again most africans dont either.

koko only chimped out once as far as I know, its pretty close to human.
>>
>>8709619
Well then if you don't like this author, you can always check out Pinker's book The Language Instinct, he has a chapter where he argues against talking apes. If you don't like Pinker, then I'm out of resources.
>>
>>8709630
They called it Nim Chimpsky, but all those experiments did was prove Chomsky rigth about apes and language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_Chimpsky
>>
>>8709630
Noam Chomsky defends a point of view that claims language is only possible thanks to a specific brain faculty which only humans have, so it is only normal he is critical of that.
>>8709529
I never read much into the subject (so as to investigate the research's legitimacy) but if it is true that Koko used metaphor(s), then I would say that really can be considered complex communication and not just classical conditioning.

Also I believe if we bred intelligent apes like Koko and educated them all the same, within 5-10 generations I think they would be able to have a primitive language (sign language ofc)
>>
>>8709529
>capable of human communication
do you mean human language? if so, then no, Koko in no way approximated human language.

>>8709668
This. These people who want apes to be able to learn a language are generally ideologically indentured to an approach to language acquisition that relies on "general learning mechanisms" (read: magic), and are opposed to the human-specific language faculty of generative grammar/chomskyan linguistics. It would be great if apes could use languages because we'd have more opportunities for experimentation; linguistics would basically become a subfield of biology.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.