[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to be both a Pure Mathematician AND a Theoretical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5566.jpg (795KB, 1644x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5566.jpg
795KB, 1644x2048px
Is it possible to be both a Pure Mathematician AND a Theoretical Physicist at the same time? In Academia or a think-tank that is.
>>
are you lost?
>>
>>8706894
I enjoy both very much and am double majoring in them. I am trying to find any research experience I can get in either because I can't decide which I want to go to graduate school for.
>>
>>8706880
Possibly. Theoretical physics is very, very tightly connected to certain regions of mathematics, to the point where I imagine in some areas you're essentially doing physics and math research simultaneously.

But you shouldn't expect to be able to reach expert level in a subfield of physics while also reaching expert level in a completely unrelated field of mathematics. This is not practically possible, discounting a handful of ridiculously talented+hardworking outliers.
>>
>>8706919
How do I put myself on the best path to achieve that?
>>
>>8706988
study.
>>
>>8706919
the last guy who won the field's medal (villani) was doing some really high level physics that was basically pure math
>>
>>8706897
>>8706880
You're going to fail so hard. It's interesting to think that we'll probably never come across each other again eventually your failure is unavoidable because you're a dumb channer faggot who asks for advice on 4chan. In a way I have already witness your failure, but I can't say I wouldn't enjoy the moment you realize it.
>>
>>8706880
If you are a physicist you are not a pure mathematician anymore. A person with such aspirations should be capable of performing logical reasoning that simple.
>>
Yeah its possible, look at Ed Witten. But the real question is, are you even close to being as brilliant Ed Witten?
>>
If you delve very deep into string theory you're gonna be doing both theoretical physics and algebraic geometry.
>>
>>8706880
How about you ask one of your professors and not strangers on the internet fgt
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.