[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it mathematically possible that planet earth is the only planet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (54KB, 600x199px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 600x199px
Is it mathematically possible that planet earth is the only planet that has life? I don't mean sentient life. just any life, even microorganism?

>pic somewhat related
>>
'life' could easily be defined that it only fits what we think of 'life' on Earth, making 'life' not possible elsewhere.
>>
>>8702932
I always hated that formula. It's completely trivial. It's also useless because we don't know hardly any of the numbers to plug in
>>
>>8702932
Mathematically speaking, life could exist on other planets. Sentient life however, cannot as the probabilities are impossibly low as of now.
>>
Of course it is possible. We don't much about "life" in general outside of what we have observed on Earth, so we can't really make any hard conclusions about the existence of life outside of Earth. We don't know how difficult it is for RNA/DNA to form from nucleotide bases, whether RNA/DNA are "common" (in the loosest sense of the word) choices for genetic material, how common the conditions are for the kind of chemistry that supports life are, etc.

But as you've probably heard many times before, it is not probable that Earth is the only planet capable of supporting simple life. Even using the most conservative estimates for the probabilities of obtaining the right conditions, kickstarting the right reactions, etc. result in numbers that suggest simple life is relatively common in our own galaxy.
But again, we can't make anything other than guesses for what these probabilities are because we only have a sample size of one.

tl;dr possible: yes. probable: no.
>>
>>8702950
That's the entire point. With a sample size of 1, we are just not at all qualified to guess at probabilities.
>>
There are two possibilities, we're either alone in the universe or we're not. Both options are terrifying
>>
>>8702997
I think it'd be pretty cool to go to war with aliens famalam
>>
>>8703034
war will be awfully boring with no FTL
>>
>>8702932
Depends on the kind of algorithm you're using to try and postulate your formula.

Life does exist, farther than current human comprehension extends for it struggles against it self in pursuit of vanity maldistributed things, from origined notion of disparate of perspective.

Not that anyone's really interested in it.
>>
>>8702932
In an infinite universe, anything that can happen once will happen a lot. Now, supposedly at one point life came about first somewhere and no where else, but by the time anyone could think to ask the question the answer would be different. Us humans are rather early on the scene but not to that degree.
>>
>>8702945

Except that's retarded and no one would ever do that.

'It eats food and mates and hunts and senses its surroundings but it isn't from Earth so I guess it's just some inert matter :^)'
>>
>>8702932
no and that's why the drake equation and the fermi paradox exist, retard
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.