[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what excactly is light? does light have the ability to bend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: light-03.jpg (84KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
light-03.jpg
84KB, 1920x1280px
what excactly is light?

does light have the ability to bend time/space?

when 2 humans flying at each other with nearly c, how is it possible that they don't recognize the time diletation caused from the other guy?

this is freaking me out, help me /sci/
>>
>what excactly is light?
an elementary particle

>does light have the ability to bend time/space?
no

>when 2 humans flying at each other with nearly c, how is it possible that they don't recognize the time diletation caused from the other guy?
Dilation is relative and your example is wrong

>this is freaking me out, help me /sci/
watch a basic youtube tutorial on photons and time dilation
>>
>>8702862
>watch a basic youtube tutorial on photons and time dilation

i have and now i'm asking myself how is this possible?

>>does light have the ability to bend time/space?
>>no

what excactly changes for me then when i travel with nearly c? either time have to change or space, relative for the observer.
>>
>>8702862
>>what excactly is light?
>an elementary particle

No, that's photons. Light is also a wave in the electro-magnetic field.
>>
>>8702862
The fuck? Light can absolutely bend time/space. It has energy and confined mass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelblitz_(astrophysics)
>>
>watch a basic youtube tutorial on photons and time dilation

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrUdxfaFpuuLF556F6b_3uspm1vnshi57
If you can stand the voice and the childish examples, it seems like a good explanation.
>>
>>8702894
>what excactly changes for me then when i travel with nearly c?

Energy. You require more and more energy to accelerate close to c. Energy and matter are equivelent, so you also gain mass as you get closer to c. Eventually, the mass you gain this way is so great that IT bends spacetime, causing the phenomenon of time dilation.

>either time have to change or space, relative for the observer.

Both do, and for the same reason: energy.
>>
>>8702941
so it's the energy you need that cause time dilation, not the light itself.

only theoretically, if you move fast enough your mass would become so big that others could observe "your" time dilation too? or better, they could observe your gravitation field if you become heavy enough? like a living black hole?
>>
>>8702857

First off, let me say this: trying to understand things conceptually without knowing the math behind the theories will honestly just confuse you more. I honestly didn't understand any of this prior to taking a course on relativity. The "simple terms" people try to explain it in on the internet and in science shows are either slightly incorrect or misleading. You really have to understand the math to understand the truth behind it.

If you're sincerely curious, I recommend reading "A Most Incomprehensible Thing" by Peter Collier (the title is misleading, it's very basic). Even if you never took calculus, you can start from this book. It starts with VERY basic math and ends with General Relativity in all its glory.

>what excactly is light?
That's a difficult question to answer without being more specific. Light is a massless spin-1 boson, which means that (a) it travels at c, (b) it has two possible values for angular momentum, and (c) you can fit as much of it in a particular point in space as you want.

>does light have the ability to bend time/space?
Contrary to what some fuckheads in here are saying, YES, it can. Einstein's equations say the curvature of spacetime is caused by the stress-energy tensor, which has an electromagnetic component. Since light, electricity and magnetism are all intimately related, enough photons will cause spacetime to curve.

>when 2 humans flying at each other with nearly c, how is it possible that they don't recognize the time diletation caused from the other guy?
I don't think I understand your question. Time-dilation is an effect that occurs between two observers moving with uniform velocity relative to one another. Each observer in their own rest frame sees the other's time moving more slowly than their own. Time dilation cannot be "caused" by someone else's frame - it is a consequence of the fact that the speed of light must remain invariant for all observers, regardless of their velocity relative to other things.
>>
>>8703041
thank you
>>
>>8702912
Light doesn't have mass
>Linking kugelblitz
That shit is 100% made up shit pulled out of his ass is and is 100% science fiction and belongs in gayshit like star trek
>>
>>8703604
The energy possessed by light has mass. If you argue that it doesn't count that's meaningless semantics.
>>
>>8703791
Energy and mass are equivalent.
>>
>>8703794
Same difference
>>
>>8703791
>the energy possessed by light has mass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WHpQVMZbjo
>>
>>8703803
Yeah yeah, I was thinking "energy has that property that bends space". Physics ain't even my field, so pardon my lingo.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.