[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

spaceship is flying through space for the crew to be at constant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 800x600_TheExpanse_S1_Keyart1.jpg (367KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
800x600_TheExpanse_S1_Keyart1.jpg
367KB, 800x600px
spaceship is flying through space
for the crew to be at constant 15-20G force
they would need to be constantly accelerating
right?
not just - we are going fast
but - we are going many times faster than 1 min ago and increasing

just asking cuz i saw latest episode of scific series the expanse, for 15G the crew needed some special chemicals to help survive
>>
File: 810.jpg (96KB, 969x407px) Image search: [Google]
810.jpg
96KB, 969x407px
Television :(
>>
>>8701771
Yes
>>
>>8701771
If I didn't get it wrong(I was drunk) Eros was accelerating as well so they had to match it.
>>
>>8701771
You were better answered in boards.4chan.org/tv/thread/79773685 when you asked.
>>
>>8701771
Well one of the plot devices is a super-efficient fusion drive, which enables constant acceleration
>>
>>8701771
You wouldn't be able to accelerate at 15g for very long before you ran up against the speed of light.
>>
File: humlu.jpg (242KB, 1437x1277px) Image search: [Google]
humlu.jpg
242KB, 1437x1277px
>>8702575
what if you were not flying in a straight line?
>>
>>8702575
Actually you'd be able to continuously accelerate at 15G from your perspective forever, but as you approached the speed of light time would slow down, making your actual acceleration slow down asymptotically, but from your perspective it would seem to remain constant. Also you would see the rest of the universe appear to speed up.
>>
>>8701771
In the expanse ships generally only travel at a constant 1g and ten flip and burn retrograde halfway to slow down on approach to their destination.
They were accelerating at about 15g to catch up to eros which was accelerating towards earth.
>they would need to be constantly accelerating
right?
Yup
>>
I have not seen the show although I'd like to, but you're right. Acceleration is any change in velocity or vector of motion so you're good.
>>
>>8702678

>large things at 1g

Assuming they get a fraction of c...
what happens if a speck of paint peels off when they start decelerating?
Assuming the speck comes in contact with whatever object they were heading towards of course.
>>
>>8702790
I thought about that before.

>traveling along at 2g acceleration for 40 years
>something pops off the ship
>start to decelerate later on
>object far behind you catches up and passes you or hits you

Not pretty. I think ships should change course when decelerating to prevent that from happening. And, don't decelerate while aiming in any trajectory of anything you are wanting to land on/dock with.
>>
>>8702575
well, even besides the time dilation effects of relativity (which would cause your acceleration as perceived by an outside observer to slow), it wouldn't exactly be an instant thing. 15gs is 147m/s^2. With just Newtonian mechanics this would get you up to 300'000km/s in like 3 weeks.
>>
>>8702848
With anything capable of doing constant acceleration interplanetary trajectories at even perceivable fractions of g, the exhaust itself would probably be enough to slag anything hundreds or thousands of miles down the line. Exhaust is probably the biggest visual letdown in the Expanse, imo. In the books they do mention it being visible to the naked eye half the system away, but even then the thing somehow still lives with what seems to be a regular rocket nozzle and no massive radiators.
>>
>>8702897
not to mention that in the show the exhaust plumes are contracting after leaving the nozzle in a vacuum, for some reason
>>
>>8702597
retard
>>
>>8702931
but I am right anon
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.