[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If not even light can escape the event horizon of a black hole,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: tmp_18359-blackhole-1611033780.jpg (181KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_18359-blackhole-1611033780.jpg
181KB, 1200x675px
If not even light can escape the event horizon of a black hole, how does gravity from the singularity escape its own even horizon to cause things to orbit and fall into it? Either gravity has to travel faster than light or black holes don't exist.
>>
>>8701471
Gravitational waves propegate at the speed of sound, but the carrier of gravity doesnt interact with other gravitons
>>
>>8701480
I don't think that's how it works.

>>8701471
Space is not bound by the limit of causality.
>>
>>8701480
>The speed of sound
kek
>>
>>8701471
What did he mean by this?
Is he autistic?
>>
>>8701495
>The speed of kek
sound
>>
>>8701471
The way I understood it was that gravity was was a distortion of the space-time manifold so that massive bodies "fall into" a gravity well. It's not like gravitational particles or waves that are being emitted out from black holes and when these particles hit another body, they suck the massive body into the black hole. However, if the gravity at some location changes, (that is, the distortion of space-time changes), then this "change" can only propagate its effect at the speed of light.

Then again I only ever took two semesters of physics so most of my understanding of physics is from youtube videos.
>>
>>8701495
Gravity is a force that acts on nessiarily massive particles, the speed that information propegates between massive particles is the speed of sound, geavity propegates at the speed of sound.
>>
>>8701554
yeah, you are correct..

"As Jupiter moved between Earth and the quasar, the gravitational bending of Jupiter allowed us to measure the speed of gravity, ruling out an infinite speed and determining that the speed of gravity was between 2.55 × 10^8 and 3.81 × 10^8 meters-per-second, completely consistent with Einstein's predictions"
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 604x483px
>>8701554
>speed of sound
>pic related
>>
>>8701471
Gravity is not a particle, it's an effect of space distortion.

Space is the only thing that can travel faster than the speed of light.
>>
>>8701480
>sound
Light.
>>
>>8701471
Particles are affected by gravity. Gravity is believed to propagate in waves. Light is in many was both a particle and a wave which is probably why it's the speed limit but that's not important.
Your statement is fundamentally flawed for two reasons:

It is currently believed that gravity is not a particle; particles=/=waves

If gravity could stop gravity, I.E. an ibject with great mass consuming its own gravity well, the universe as we know it simply wouldn't exist.

Read a book nigga
>>
>>8701646
Then what the fuck is a graviton?
>>
How
>>
>>8701565
>no source for that quote
>>
File: 1482187007357.png (150KB, 279x363px) Image search: [Google]
1482187007357.png
150KB, 279x363px
>>8701471
Scientists can't even figure out why we sleep

They don't understand so much and yet they love to stiff their own shit

The STEM field is largely filled with some of the most gullible saps out there

There are sharks and than there are sheep
>>
>>8701656
So you think there should be a cusp at the event horizon? Where space is completely flat and dandy until you hit that horizon then suddenly space is extremely curved?

So in that world, black holes are nothing to worry about, just don't walk straight into them

Genius.
>>
>>8701811
If the singularity warps space at the speed of light (gravity), how can the warp escape the event horizon (itself) to affect other objects?
>>
>>8701524
>The sound of kek
speed
>>
>>8701471
>implying there are even event horizons
>>
>>8701844
what are you basing your statement on?
>>
File: y8d10Ge.png (70KB, 244x200px) Image search: [Google]
y8d10Ge.png
70KB, 244x200px
>>8701656
>>8701471
>"How can I trip and fall in a hole? The gravity has to come get me and pull me down, but how can it do that when gravity makes it fall down?"

This is what you sound like tbqhwy
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.