[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the area of the star /sci/ Wolfram won't help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170224_221621247.jpg (4MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_221621247.jpg
4MB, 4608x2592px
What's the area of the star /sci/ Wolfram won't help you now brainlets.
>>
brainlet here
is it 21.46cm^2?
>>
>>8701069
area of circle / 2

Wish it was harder desu
>>
Just used calculus because it's easier than thinking.

It's trivial that it's symmetrical over each axis. Relevant equation is 5-sqrt(5^2 - (x-5)^2) from 0 to 5. So the answer is
[math]\displaystyle 4 \int_0^5 5-\sqrt{ 5^2 - \left ( x-5 \right ) ^2 } dx[/math] which is also trivial to solve, as you don't really need to evaluate the integral of that root as you can easily get the answer to it.

You end up getting -25(pi-4) which rounds to >>8701116
>>
>>8701121
(also I did use wolfram alpha to evaluate the integral because I didn't want to think :^) )
>>
>>8701069
draw a square around it
inside is just area of square minus area of the circle
get >>8701116
>>
>>8701125
Shit I'm fucking retarded (>>8701121)
>>
>>8701069
draw a square circumscribing the circle. It's clear the outside of the circle is equal to the star shape. Thus the answer is the difference between the area of the square and the circle = 10^2-pi*5^2

No calculus required.
>>
How is this method?

Draw a triangle from the center to the edge. Multiply by 4, subtract from area of circle, multiply by 2.
>>
Impossible to tell without knowing the equations for boundaries of the star.
>>
>>8701069
Exactly [math](100 - 25\pi) cm^2[/math].
>>
100-25pi^2
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.