[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Alcubierre drive How much of a meme is it, sci? Apparently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Alcubierre.png (173KB, 1004x465px) Image search: [Google]
Alcubierre.png
173KB, 1004x465px
>Alcubierre drive
How much of a meme is it, sci?

Apparently there's people at NASA 'working on it'. Could there actually be a team determining how it would work and if it's feasable? Or is it all bullshit?

Am brainlet, educate me.
>>
>>8700906
it already exists, just we can't share it with you.
>>
>>8700906

It's mathematically viable. There are no proven physics that can duplicate the mathematics. Don't get your hopes up.
>>
>>8700906
We need to find exotic matter to make it work

Exotic matter may not even be a thing
>>
>>8700980
Depends of what kind of exotic matter you're looking for.
>>
>>8700980
>>8701054
That's relating to the whole we need negative mass thing right?

Isn't energy consumption also an issue? As well as the theory that the bubble it'd use to move would obliterate anything infront of it with gravitational waves?
>>
>>8701058
Yes, as a potential technology it's pretty much on the same level as a Star Trek warp drive, but with slightly more mathematical rigor behind it.
Seeing pop-sci retards bring it up like it's just around the corner or even worth thinking about makes me cringe harder than any other /sci/-related delusion.
>>
need good radiation shielding too. since turning on such a drive would kill anything organic inside the field.

the Eppstein Drive from The Expanse is more likely. Since it is just a fusion rocket and a Ion Drive combined.
>>
>>8700980
>we
lol
>>
>>8700906
It's the same like tachyons. Just because a mathematical solution exists, doesn't mean it's real.
>>
>>8700906
The whole concept is not only a meme because of "we need le engeries lower than zero point", but that traveling anywhere useful, like an earthlike planet, would likely destroy the entire system with an electromagnetic shockwave generated by the drive.
Other than that its a neat idea.
>>
>>8701151
Oh hey, I loved that novel series. Is there actually a writeup or collection of ideas on how the Epstein would work? I couldn't find anything.
>>
>>8700906
The Alcubierre warp drive is a waste of time. Expanding space with some exotic material that may not even exist is pure science fiction at this point. A more viable warp drive would involve isolating a small bubble of spacetime from the rest of the universe using frame dragging, effectively canceling any mass inside the bubble from the rest of the universe. At that point you could shine a flashlight backwards and accelerate to c near instantly (im exaggerating here but you get the point). The best part is any humans inside the bubble wouldn't experience any acceleration because they are essentially stationary the entire time.
>>
>>8701151
>the Eppstein Drive from The Expanse is more likely.

i don't know why people immediately think about going interstellar.

we have a good couple thousand years of just dinking around in our own solar system before we even think about leaving.
>>
>>8700906
this is me looking at a weird circle thing wtf is it
>>
>>8702405
Fusion rockets have been proposed in a million different forms over the decades, but the authors of the Expanse have kept their engine deliberately vague in order not to fuck with suspension of disbelief too much. This is probably the deepest anyone's ever looked into it:
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#epstein
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.