/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

God damn friendos. EE here going back to school for mechanical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: the.png (134KB, 1061x485px) Image search: [Google]
the.png
134KB, 1061x485px
God damn friendos.

EE here going back to school for mechanical now and I can't fucking get it

I don't understand what assumptions you can make in fluid flow, heat transfer, etc

I always seem to have too many variables. I don't know how to use any of the charts and when to use them

Can someone please give me a crash course? I feel like I'm confused on something very very basic
>>
Couldn't find a job as an EE?
>>
>>8695998
I couldn't find a job in ChemE
>Engineering brings job security, they said.
>>
>>8695998
No, I have worked three jobs since graduating. Very lucrative field. Last job wisest man at that firm said to me "Biggest thing I regret, I wish I had learned mechanical also"

So here I am
>>
>>8695965
Fluid flow is fucked though. Particularly "basic" fluid dynamics, and those flow field fuckers. Compressible fluid dynamics was a goddamn cakewalk in comparison famalam.

That being said, you can do ok by writing down all the relevant equations and figuring out how to plug them into each other. Its important that you write ALL the equations, and also ALL the given variables.

Thermodynamics I don't remember much about besides it being fairly straightforward to figure out what to do next. There's like one 2D chart that you can put literally any pair of values on, and the trick is again knowing which equations can get you to what.

I think what might be beneficial is making like a block diagram of variables / equations. Heat relates to energy via E = m*C_t*delta-T, iirc, rho relates to pressure via p=rho*R*T, etc, then when you have this chart of boxes and lines (variables and equations that connect them), you pick the route that gets you from your starting set of variables / equations to the target one.
>>
>>8696035
Smart decision, but some people just don't 'get it'.
You have to have a knack for understanding how some of these things work. Electricity is, ironically, pretty straight forward. When you get to the point where you're trying to simulate fluids and path the dynamics of a beam rolling down a hill while tethered to a tire which is rolling up the hill somehow while on fire is the point you start to realize that the entire field is meant to challenge your worldview of the physical and shatter your ideas of how physical bodies should work.
My ridiculous problem I posed earlier isn't even getting into the even more tedious aspects of the field such as "Part B) Now calculate the radiant heat energy imparted by the flaming tire rolling up the hill on a little bird flying ten meters above the tire while being separated by a twenty centimeter layer of room-temperature water which is suspended in a sheet two meters above the tire"

ft. EE who tried to study for a dual major and ended up dropping one.
>>
>>8696068
>>8696068
I get that you're trying to be facetious, but I'm telling you that when I read that my brain is literally reading for variables and equations the whole time. Everything else is distractions. So you need that radiation heat equation, reflectivity of water / snells law shit, and one or more of the dynamics equations (the 5 element accel. equation in the worst case, but this can almost certainly be made simpler). The hardest part is keeping track of your signs.
>>
>>8696103
Also FBD, but y'all ought to know that.
>>
>>8696057
Awesome, thank you man.

>>8696068
Lol I love electrical. So nice (although Fourier transforms and stuff is something I've never understood well)

>>8696104
FBD/physics is my shit. It's mostly the stuff like heat transfer, where you aren't given all the variables and need to reduce somehow that trip me up
>>
How does one go about going back to school for a second BS?

Youre allowed to just skip the GEs and get the degree in 2 years, right?
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
17KB, 480x360px
I switched from ME to EE.
>>
>>8696126
My meme university won't admit graduates as undergrads
>>
>>8696126
Yup it's going to end up being 6 or 7 trimesters
>>
>>8696114
>> Heat transfer
> Check Rayleigh/Reynolds number
> use appropriate equation
Maybe be more specific about your problem?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.