[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The last math class I took was 10 years ago. I was thinking about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: denzel.gif (2MB, 450x188px) Image search: [Google]
denzel.gif
2MB, 450x188px
The last math class I took was 10 years ago. I was thinking about going back to school for EE (I'm 29).....the first course you need to take in this specific program is "calculus for engineers" Math 256......Limits and continuity, differential calculus of functions of one variable, introduction to integration.

What are upper level math courses like? If I don't remember much from my high school trigonometry class, is there any point at me attempting to do an online degree, or should I just seppuku?
>>
>>8692463
>>8692463

in EE there is mathematical analysis 1 (first semester)

its not too hard until you come to those stupid proofs that you have to prove statements and rules in math language n shit
>>
>>8692546
what is difficult about those sorts of concepts? Is it the idea or what you are trying to do? Is it memorizing formulas?
>>
>>8692463

You'll probably want to take a precalc class to brush up on your required algebra and geometry skills but calculus itself isn't that bad at all, in fact most of my errors in calculus still came from dumbfuck algebra mistakes.

And that class you described sounds like calc 1, the absolute easiest calculus. Do you need more after? Calc isn't upper class math
>>
>>8692703
After talking to the school counselor person today, I don't know that I can manage. She said that working and going to school was not recommended and that they will not allow you to do more than 2 classes at a time (6 year program)......also the reality of being 36 with no industry experience, competing with 22 year-olds may be a problem.

The math course load (specifically stated "math" classes, not including the physics and other science classes that may involve math) are:

Calculus for engineers I, II, and III

Modern differential equations

Linear algebra or applied linear algebra

Total time is 120 credit hours at a cost of about $75k.....
>>
>>8692748
Do that shit at community college lol
>>
>>8692463
Ignoring factors such as intelligence and motivation I think it's unlikely that you will pass ( I'm assuming you haven't done much math at all in these last 10 years). However it is possible if you start getting back into the game, I'd advise you do some intensive precalc studying, use Khan Academy and do their Algebra, Trig, etc.. If you don't get used to all of that you won't get much of Calc since it's usually assumed that you know that sort of stuff. If you have the money and the time get a tutor too. "Calculus for engineers" from what you describe seems like a standard Calc I course, which isn't particularly hard for the average student but if you've forgotten HS math you'll definitely need to learn it all again, preferably before the course starts so that you're able to understand the lectures.

TL;DR: Learn precalc stuff or it will be unlikely that you pass the math courses of an engineering degree.
>>
>>8692463
I dropped out of HS while taking Trig/PreCalc my sophomore year. I took the GED and SAT like five years later and went to college. My math SAT score was high enough to override the PreCalc requirement for Calc I, which is what you just described. I struggled for a few weeks to relearn all the algebra and trig you need for calc, but after that Calc I is piss easy. I ended up with 98% in the class. If you're "good at math" and are willing to apply yourself and spend some time in a tutoring center to kickstart your algebra and trig skills, you'll be fine.
>>
>>8692800
I was in a similar situation when I started my 'useless' AA degree.....although I was right out of high school, I didn't do particularly well in any of the classes but still placed into a non-remedial math class.

I would be highly motivated at this point as this is my last chance.....however, the second problem still looms, being so old and completing a degree that is usually done by age 22-23 and competing for entry level work.

I don't want to dwell only on the negative, but I don't know who to talk to to get an honest opinion. I thought about calling some local engineering companies and asking a hiring person for 2 minutes of time, just to see what they would think about a 22 yr old with a degree vs hiring a 36 yr old with a degree.
>>
File: sam-jackson-320.jpg (33KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
sam-jackson-320.jpg
33KB, 400x320px
>>8692463
>If I don't remember much from my high school
>trig class, is there a chance in Hell that
>I can get a passing grade in Math 256?
short answer : no
long answer : not even one motherfucking
chance in a motherfucking million
>>
>>8692959
ugh,

I just signed up for Khan and some of it is coming back to me, but I remember very little of this shit. They are testing me on basic algebra and I am not doing so well. "standard quadratic form" I remember the terminology but that is about all.

This will take a lot of back tracking into old courses if I decide to go through with it.
>>
>>8692694
The difficulty lies in actually doing some problems instead of just memorizing things for the upcoming test.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.