[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For those who take meds for ADD, what was your experience like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

For those who take meds for ADD, what was your experience like pre and post medication.

Did your productivity (say hours of focus/week) improve significantly?

Are you happy with the results? Still struggling?

Just wondering.
>>
>>8691795
Im with adhd meds. Without them i get maybe 1h of work done. With them i can do work for 10+ hours and i lose all sense od time and boredom.
>>
>>8691967

Is it like being "in the zone"?

I'm not medicated yet. Sometimes, I wake up with purpose and work for a whole straight day and don't even realise that time has passed.

Used to happen to me a lot when I was just programming for fun.

Wish I could somehow induce the same amount of focus for my math degree.

In any case thanks for the answer. It's gives me hope.
>>
>>8691795
ADD/ADHD = No willpower
>>
>>8691795
I have ADHD and was on Focalin XR in middle school but stopped taking it towards the end because my tolerance was so high that I was taking ~60 mg a day (2 doses of 30mg) and it was doing jack shit, so I decided I'd just figure out how to cope without meds. I can do so now and can force myself to have the retarded laser focus on most tasks, even if I don't like them.

But on the inital starting, my producivity did increase a bit as I could actually sit still. My grades didn't improve but that was an effect of already having literal perfect grades. I was more efficient I believe. After I stopped and figured out how to cope in high school, my productivity increased dramatically and my high school grades went from meh (they were mostly B+ with some A's) to all A.

I have mixed feelings about the results as I believe it was just a band-aid fix and kids should be encouraged to cope, although my ADHD was exceptionally bad and the outcome of coping I assume was exceptionally good. I also took pretty much every negative side effect of the meds, I never had an appetite, insominia, etc. which makes me a bit salty about the whole thing. Butterfly affect gave me a handful of issues that I wish I didn't have back then.

>>8691978
There is some sense of being in the zone with meds. Although I've been off them for nearly a decade I believe I haven't really been able to recreate that feeling of intense focus and feel good except when taking the PSAT or ACT (I never took the SAT).
>>
>>8691978
You sound similar to my position. I've been perscribed meds and honestly it's been life changing. Been more on point with everything in terms of my life, I don't put important things off like bills or phone calls to the last minute. I actually really enjoy school and able to comprehend what the professor says and what my peers are saying to me. I can also finally do fucking labs as I am able to read and follow instructions without getting distracted. I can also sit down and actually do work and not have to do a lap around the house after 5 minutes of study.
>>
>>8691978
Well there was one time I was doing an assingment and I spent 3 hours on a single excersize before i realized i misread a easy question. It removes my sense of time. Also been taking concerta for 6 years with no tolerance problems.
>>
How hard is it to get prescribed these? I legitimately think I have ADD, I'm not some memer who just wants adderall for 12 hour faps.

Should I ask the doctor for adderall directly? What if he doesn't believe me? I dont know how this shit works, I never go to the doctor.
>>
>>8691795
Important to realize is that ADHD and ADD are best thought of as two different disorders, rather than ADD being a quiet variety of ADHD.

ADD (ADHD-PI or ADHD-I in literature) is in the process of being made into a new disorder called SCT (Sluggish Cognitive Tempo) and will most likely officially be recognized as such in the DSM six.

As for medication:

ADHD generally benefits from methylphenidate (ritalin, concerta) as well as from amphetamine salts (vyvanse, Adderall). ADHD is an executive function deficit that cause problems with sustained attention.

ADD/ADHD-PI/SCT benefits very little from medication. Probably little more than an average person would. I myself benefit from amphetamines salts (but then again, almost anyone would). The only promising drug out there right now that you can realistically get your hands on is atomoxetine (strattera) which in some studies works as well for ADD as ritalin works for ADHD. ADD is an information processing disorder that causes problems with selective attention. You can't gain any real permanent progress through medication alone. You need someone to help you break tasks up into do-able chunks and to make sure you do execute them.
>>
>>8693532

I don't know yet, what kind of ADHD I have. I experience both difficulty focusing on stuff and hyperactivity.
>>
>>8691795
I don't know about other anons, but it has helped me tremendously. I went from being barely able to pay attention in class to being always on top of things. I guess it is different for other people, but I dont really suffer from the side effects that much.
>>
>>8693825
Agree with this. Honestly, I put it off for the longest time because of shit I read on 4chan and from other people. My doc put me on dex and as this anon mentioned, I don't suffer from any side effects. Literally I take it, am able to focus for a solid 3-4 hours and then it wears off. I don't have any issues with appetite or sleep. I think most of the people who do have issues with the medication are people who took it since they were young. I will agree that NO ONE should take this shit when they are young.
>>
>>8691795
>life before Meds
>was 0-6 years old
>loved life smart kid, enjoyed learning
>couldn't pay attention to school even a little
>real severe ADHD
>could play naturalist or whatever and read life encyclopedia for ever, couldn't pay attention to uninteresting things for 30 seconds
>put on adderall
That's life it made me act strange at first but I chilled and that's been life, been on max dose of everything even desoxyn
Focus isnt my problem it's excutive control I have very little ability To direct my effort. Stims got me through school, I'd always score very high 95th+ percentile on standardized tests, barley graduated high school.
It's hard to live, routine, exercise and mindfulness have all helped me, I also take time out to just wander around completely hopeless with medication though, as can be expected from a 20 taking amphetamines since 6. But I've started up alittle farm and am practicing field biology and studying ecology on my own
I also have servere depression mainly from the anthropocene extinctions and frequently abuse substances.
>>
>>8691795

I would rather have money so that I can afford recreation and proper nutrition, along with excellent supplementation, rather than use the pharmaceutical jew.
>>
>>8693873
/thread
>>
>>8693873
>>8694527

What horseshit.

>me without meds
>wake up at 8
>straight to work
>1 hour later
>"let's take a small break"
>....a few moments later
>it's 12
>"I guess I'll just have lunch then I'll start right after"
>have lunch
>"I guess I'll play a quick game of chess while my coffee is brewing"
>"I guess I'll listen to this short TED talk while I drink my coffee"
>"I guess I'll go for a quick walk to the shops to clear my mind"
>...
>it's 8 in the evening
>only accomplished 1 hour of work

>me with meds
>wake up at 8
>straight to work
>4 in the afternoon
>oh I guess I'll have breakfast
>back to work
>minimum 8 hours of solid work and 4 hours of less productive work
>>
>>8694604
This is why I work anywhere but home. Even off meds the worst I'll do is shitpost a bit, if I'm at home absolutely nothing will get accomplished
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.